IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Some people always find a way to make the wrong choice.
It's oh so very painful to watch. Been there. :-(

I feel for you, Chris.

In my mother's case, her worst problem was managing money. (And she remarried a worthless slug of a person, but we shan't go there. ;-) The only way to keep her from mismanaging her finances was to make the decisions for her, or more accurately, prevent her from making financial decisions. After her stroke she ended up in a nursing home, so that part of her pathology finally was put under control.

It's my experience that adults rarely change personality traits or pathologies. It takes some sort of major event to get people to change (myself included), and even then it's easy to revert back to the previous trait or behavior. We're all creatures of habit.

It's easy to see a solution from a distance, but unfortunately, it's often impractical to implement it. In the abstract, someone needs to babysit said SIL and make sure she doesn't make the wrong decisions wrt said WPoS. That, in the abstract, means someone needs to take her and her children in. But I'm sure that's impossible and I'm sure that she wouldn't accept that anyway.

That's the solution I tried with my mother. It lasted less than 2 years and the stress damaged my relationship with her (even more). And in the end, it only delayed her spiral down for a while.

So even if one sees the solution, and tries ones best to implement it, there's only so much a person can do to help someone else. Ultimately, personal responsibility is the most important thing. If it's not there, moving Heaven and Earth won't help. Sometimes support group discussions can help the person, but too often they're impractical to attend. :-(

Hang in there. And best of luck to said SIL and her little ones.

Remember, we don't get to pick our relatives. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New No Kidding, Scott...
I'm sorry about your SIL too, Chris. It's so hard to watch people continue to put themselves in the same situations over and over.

In my mother's case, her worst problem was managing money. (And she remarried a worthless slug of a person, but we shan't go there. ;-) The only way to keep her from mismanaging her finances was to make the decisions for her, or more accurately, prevent her from making financial decisions. After her stroke she ended up in a nursing home, so that part of her pathology finally was put under control.

Reminds me of when a friend and I took another friend under our "management" and tried to help him manage his money... it failed completely, and ended with the IRS and the Police both coming to our doors. Fortunately we got out of the liability of it, but I had to ultimately abandon said friend who was causing all the problems.... even though I promise his mother on her death-bed I would look after her son..

Yeah right... some people just can't and won't help themselves, and trying to help them just gets you ensnared in their messes.

Stupid SOB finally left town with police warrants out everywhere... hope he never comes back.

Nightowl >8#

"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop." -- Robert Hughes, Australian Art Critic, Writer
     Are you THAT fucking stoopud, Norm! - (jb4) - (94)
         Yes, he is. -NT - (inthane-chan)
         le mot juste in this connection - (rcareaga) - (68)
             Much better than - (orion) - (66)
                 OhmygodIcantstoplaughing! - (inthane-chan) - (65)
                     Serenade for Beef Flute and Prozac, in Gee Whizzer -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                         Stop! Yer killing me! - (jb4)
                         Ooops! Dupe! - (jb4)
                     You are a bore - (orion) - (59)
                         When I see something that approaches his genius here... - (inthane-chan) - (58)
                             You've missed it - (orion) - (57)
                                 Learn to speak english. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                     What's that aphorism about wrestling with a pig? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         I know. - (inthane-chan)
                                 Maddox is a loudmouthed boor. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                 thanks for clearing that up, then - (rcareaga) - (51)
                                     Okay, that's a little too far, I think - (Nightowl) - (50)
                                         Norman is as Norman does - (boxley) - (49)
                                             Yeah, that's true but... - (Nightowl) - (48)
                                                 Seems like an upswing - (broomberg) - (47)
                                                     I could care less, actually. - (n3jja) - (18)
                                                         You mean you *couldn't* care less? -NT - (pwhysall) - (17)
                                                             No, that's an American idiom - (deSitter) - (12)
                                                                 No they fucking don't, you philistinic colonial baboon. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                                     It doesn't read correctly... - (bepatient)
                                                                     Nopers. - (admin) - (6)
                                                                         "Avoid it as Nonstandard" - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                             Missing the point. - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                 saying it sarcastically - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                     dont come here and ask someone to bum a fag then -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                         or knock up your girlfriend, for that matter. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                 Trouble is, too many *don't* say it sarcastically. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                     And we've discussed this before - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                         And I could not have cared less, then! - (folkert)
                                                                         Sorry, but.. - (Ashton)
                                                             Peter, try reading it like this: - (jb4) - (3)
                                                                 No, I think it really *is* an implied 'not' - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                     Isn't it annoying though... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                         As was the original - (FuManChu)
                                                     I got your message - (orion) - (27)
                                                         Overgeneralizing - (ChrisR) - (22)
                                                             Once more, with clarity.... - (n3jja) - (21)
                                                                 Those who call attention to themselves... - (ChrisR) - (19)
                                                                     Re: Those who call attention to themselves... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                         Tis true. - (ChrisR)
                                                                     Post of the Year, so far. IMHO. :-) Thanks Chris. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                         Wasted in the flame forums. - (ChrisR)
                                                                     Great post, Chris... a few questions? - (Nightowl) - (8)
                                                                         Wish I knew the answers - (ChrisR) - (7)
                                                                             That makes two of us :) - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                                                 Conscience is a tricky bugger - (ChrisR) - (5)
                                                                                     Thanks - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                                         you can be a good fucking flamer - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                             Oh sure, I can say the words - (Nightowl)
                                                                                     Some people always find a way to make the wrong choice. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                         No Kidding, Scott... - (Nightowl)
                                                                     2 things - (n3jja) - (3)
                                                                         *sniff* - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                             *snicker* -NT - (n3jja) - (1)
                                                                                 *shrug* couldn't help myself ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                     sorry you had to have been there - (boxley)
                                                                     We're not worthy...we're not worthy ;-) - (bepatient)
                                                                 Spitting on a grave - (orion)
                                                         No you didn't. You're still here. - (n3jja) - (3)
                                                             Playing Russian Rulette with Norm? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                 I believe that, "Blow Me", is the proper response. -NT - (n3jja) - (1)
                                                                     Trust me, you aren't even worth it - (orion)
                                 Now that you've made it clear - (Ashton)
                     ROFL!!!!! - (jb4) - (1)
                         I've got a few here: - (inthane-chan)
             unfortunately Homo Fatuous is the Sunday crowd -NT - (boxley)
         I am not stupid and I am sticking to my statement - (orion) - (16)
             Re: I am not stupid &c - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 Ah yes - (orion)
                 Now that's an LRPD! - (lincoln)
             WTF are you talking about, moron? - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                 No, WTF are you talking about moron? - (orion) - (4)
                     Watch Norm attempt his hand at facts - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         Watch Ben go down in flames - (orion) - (2)
                             While. You're. Raving. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Ah Ashton, yet you don't understand - (orion)
             "Jane, you ignorant slut.." -NT - (Ashton)
             Norm's calculus: - (jb4) - (1)
                 On that...we may agree. - (bepatient)
             I vaguely remember a quote from Chesterton - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                 But a US President said, "Your President is not a crook!" -NT - (Ashton)
                 Re: I vaguely remember a quote from Chesterton - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Precisely - (Arkadiy)
         Bzzt. - (bepatient) - (6)
             Thank you - (orion)
             Now, parse the WHOLE statement - (jb4) - (4)
                 Read it again Moron! - (orion) - (3)
                     He just wanted to yell at you. - (bepatient)
                     You do simile as badly as you do facts! - (jb4)
                     In that spirit, then - - (Ashton)

Dr. Ashton prescribes a nice warm cup of cloaca cocoa.
156 ms