IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Speaking of Struts
What are you fixing to use for the Presentation layer? JSP?

From what little I've read about spring and hibernate, they are more geared towards a Bean type interface (without the hideousness of EJB). Is there a web page rendering engine hidden in there somewhere (though I suppose you could use them to generate html on the fly).
New Ya.
It's actually faster than Velocity now, and more flexible. I still like Velocity's syntax better, but the newer JSP spec adds the ability to do ${some.variable} without an accompanying <c:out tag. Small improvement, but nice nonetheless.

Spring is a lightweight container. The big deal is the automatic bean configuration. This is the real magic. Set your datasource up for testing. Change it to JDNI for release. Or use a local datasource for some stuff, a JNDI source for others. Declare your transaction boundaries no matter what's using what. All without the overhead of EJB.

However, all of the other stuff builds on that. You use the bean config to map URIs to controllers, etc. There's no special syntax in the config file like Struts has; it's very dynamic and flexible. The view portion basically says, "I don't care how you render. Here's a model in the form of a map." The various view types (Velocity, JSP, etc... I just made one for a charting engine) take the model and change it into whatever that engine requires: servlet request attributes for JSP, VelocityContext for Velocity, DataSource object for the charts. Then the result is passed off and away she goes. So no, it doesn't have it's own templating engine. Just a generic view rendering system. There's also stuff that maps the views by name to various renderers, so you can just say "render this with the 'foo' view" and the bean config takes care of mapping that to a JSP or whatever. You can also just create a View object on the fly and pass that instead of a string.

There's also stuff like an exception-free JDBC library (verra nice) and other nifty things.

Which brings up another point: almost everything in Spring uses unchecked exceptions. No more catching endless SQLExceptions if you don't want to.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New OT: Recommendation request.
What books would you recommend? The Sun Microsystems training foo I mentioned elsewhere is just awful. I'm assuming O'Reilly is a best bet, is that right?
bcnu,
Mikem

If you can read this, you are not the President.
New For which? JSP? J2EE?
Regards,

-scott anderson

New All of the above.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Re: All of the above.
[link|http://www.bookpool.com/.x/kqqqra9aj4/sm/0764543857|Rod Johnson's book] then. As far as low-level "this is how the c:out tag works" I just use the online stuff.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Ordered. Thanks.
bcnu,
Mikem

New It's a great book.
He's not terribly kind to stupid J2EE technologies. Lots of good, practical advice, as opposed to programming by buzzwords.
Regards,

-scott anderson

Resource files - (admin) - (38)
         Speaking of Struts - (ChrisR) - (7)
             Ya. - (admin) - (6)
                 OT: Recommendation request. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                     For which? JSP? J2EE? -NT - (admin) - (4)
                         All of the above. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                             Re: All of the above. - (admin) - (2)
                                 Ordered. Thanks. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     It's a great book. - (admin)
         hug a table - (tablizer) - (29)
             Re: hug a table - (admin) - (7)
                 query and change by multiple factors - (tablizer) - (6)
                     vim `grep -lr "search_term" *` -NT - (drewk) - (4)
                         No, no, no! - (admin) - (3)
                             grep is your SQL - (tablizer) - (2)
                                 Of course it is :) - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     SQL requires much less parsing because "slots" predefined -NT - (tablizer)
                     It doesn't work that way. - (admin)
             Question: - (admin) - (20)
                 I hate to say it, but Bill Gates is on my side WRT files - (tablizer) - (12)
                     Is that supposed to be a Good Thing[TM]? -NT - (Yendor)
                     Oh, now THERE'S an argument. - (admin)
                     Convergence - (ChrisR) - (2)
                         What "convergence", anyway? - (admin) - (1)
                             But Bill Gates innovated it!!! -NT - (ChrisR)
                     Tee hee hee - (altmann) - (2)
                         *snort* :-D -NT - (admin)
                         Not surprising. It is a hedge - (tablizer)
                     I'm glad you admit it - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         Today and Tommarow - (tablizer) - (2)
                             Today *IS* tomorrow - (folkert)
                             "More powerful abstraction" has no absolute meaning - (ben_tilly)
                 The problem with putting config info in tables... - (ChrisR) - (6)
                     No, no, no! - (admin) - (5)
                         I've seen that - (JimWeirich) - (4)
                             Re: I've seen that - (admin) - (3)
                                 You're very clever, young man, very clever... - (altmann) - (2)
                                     No, it isn't... - (admin) - (1)
                                         ..standing on Great A'Tuin - (Ashton)

And by "malware" he means his browsing history.
59 ms