IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This thread?
[link|http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=37&thread=307252&start=0&range=15&hilite=false&q=|http://forum.java.su...5&hilite=false&q=]

After a re-read, looks like it might be a glibc + 1.4.2 issue. The glibc mentioned most often is after 2.2.4, and I run 2.2.3. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
Expand Edited by admin May 6, 2004, 09:28:10 AM EDT
New Yeah, that's it ;0) [Edit: Found my post}
We struggled with the same problem for almost two months. Having tried everything suggested here (and various and sundry other things) with no success, we finally downgraded glibc to version 2.2.4. It works and keeps running for weeks.

We were able to identify that the bug is in the garbage collection of the jvm - at least that's where our jvm was crashing all the time. It looks like libjvm.so is dependent upon a bug in glibc that is not there anymore. With any later version of glibc, we saw crashes in anywhere from minutes to a couple of hours, regardless of which jdk we used. After downgrading glibc, we could use virtually any jdk just fine.

If anyone seeing this problem is running tomcat 4.1.29 on a linux distro - and you can, try moving back your glibc.
bcnu,
Mikem
Expand Edited by mmoffitt May 6, 2004, 11:14:25 AM EDT
New Have you since checked the release notes...
... for notations that it works with glibc > 2.2.4 now?

Here's what I'm running at home:
\nanderson@spork:~$ java -version\njava version "1.4.1"\nJava(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.4.1-01)\nJava HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.4.1-01, mixed mode)\nanderson@spork:~$ dpkg -l | grep libc\nii  libc6          2.3.2.ds1-10   GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone\n

And at work:
\nsanderson@bd00402:~$ /usr/local/java/bin/java -version\njava version "1.4.1_06"\nJava(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_06-b01)\nJava HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_06-b01, mixed mode)\nsanderson@bd00402:~$ dpkg -l | grep libc\nii  libc6          2.3.2.ds1-10   GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone\n

I haven't tried 1.4.2 yet.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New No, I haven't. Been too busy w/loads of other stuff.
I was just happy to get it running. I will, no doubt, have to re-visit this. It was a panic situation before. The product was delivered two months late, everybody's head was on fire, PHB screaming 'Get it to work! Get it to work!', etc.

I'll try to approach it with a more open mind next time. But, the PHB in question is being replaced. This app is our only JSP app and could be redone from scratch w/PHP in a month tops. Dunno if the new PHB will want to continue w/JSP or not (this might be a do-over). Even if we stick with java, I'd bet the ranch that 80% of the code will be reworked completely. I know for sure that the database will be redesigned and that sp's will be used to insert/delete/update data (not to mention all the 'select a.*, b.column1 from table1 a, table2 b where a.name = b.name and a.date = b.date and a.address = b.address and a.plant = b.plant and a.location = b.location and a.type = b.type and a.invoice = b.invoice' crap. Who knows, might even add some Views, Triggers, explicit transaction processing and DRI to the database!)

Thanks.
bcnu,
Mikem
     Anybody know what McDonald's uses? - (mmoffitt) - (38)
         ... - (admin) - (20)
             No. - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                 Have to agree with the Tomcat people. - (admin) - (14)
                     Re: seeing the application. - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                         Bad code in any language is like that. - (admin) - (12)
                             I'll try for permission to show you. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                 Bad code... - (admin) - (10)
                                     Rossish? :0) - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                         I've used PHP. - (admin) - (8)
                                             To each his own. But, - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                 If you have the inhouse experience - (admin) - (6)
                                                     Heh. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         WTF? - (admin) - (4)
                                                             Yes, sig 11 w/different JDK's. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 Re: Yes, sig 11 w/different JDK's. - (admin) - (2)
                                                                     Nope. No JNI. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                     Dude, - (mmoffitt)
                 This thread? - (admin) - (3)
                     Yeah, that's it ;0) [Edit: Found my post} - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         Have you since checked the release notes... - (admin) - (1)
                             No, I haven't. Been too busy w/loads of other stuff. - (mmoffitt)
         Well, their store systems run on . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             Shall we boycott McDonalds until they change that? :-) -NT - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                 I already boycott McBurp, out of flavor not IT -NT - (boxley)
                 I can't do that. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Tandem mainframe at Oak Brook, IL world HQ -NT - (lincoln) - (11)
             Make up your mind, is it Tandem or is it mainframe? :-P -NT - (drewk) - (10)
                 Come on Drew, no baiting... - (jbrabeck) - (7)
                     Your criteria has to be modified - (lincoln) - (3)
                         Didja miss the ;-j - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                             I did miss the ;-j - (lincoln) - (1)
                                 Correction - (jbrabeck)
                     How about basing it on the crash test? - (bbronson) - (2)
                         Dunno about that - (jbrabeck)
                         I've only seen a midrange crash once. - (admin)
                 I've already made up my mind - (lincoln) - (1)
                     I don't have a horse in this race - (drewk)
         Thanks All! -NT - (mmoffitt)

Sorry, you are not a winner.
106 ms