IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Make up your mind, is it Tandem or is it mainframe? :-P
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Come on Drew, no baiting...
You know that some people even call NT boxen "Midrange" computers...

Maybe the criteria is based on weight:
If I can carry it - Personal Computer
If I need a hand truck -- Midrange
If I need a forklift -- Mainframe

Sounds about right to me. ;-j
New Your criteria has to be modified
to take into account the reduction in size for hardware over the past decades. Many brands of mainframe are now small enough to be moved by hand cart. We really could get into quite a discussion just trying to define a midrange computer, if any company classifies their equipment as such nowadays.

lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Didja miss the ;-j
I remember the infinite thread discussion on what was a mainframe and don't want to go there again.

Call it what you want. Everyone (personal and corporate) has a definition of what is "mainframe", "midrange" and "personal".

Here, in just this data center, we have a IBM 3090 (?) mainframe with 36tb of data.
And a "midrange" (over 500 Sun boxes) with 98tb of SAN data.
And over 1400 NT (2003, 2000, NT) boxes with and unknown amount of storage.

How do I know what's a mainframe? The boss told me. ;-)
New I did miss the ;-j
but you're stretching definitions to fit your own opinions.

"over 500 Sun boxes" does not equal a "midrange"; they're 500 INDIVIDUAL machines networked together to equal or beat a "midrange's" overall capabilities. And "1400 NT (2003, 2000, NT) boxes with and unknown amount of storage" are nothing more than just that - INDIVIDUAL units networked together. Cumulatively, their computing capacity easily tops one individual "midrange" computer, but that's understood.

So when you call up IBM and say, "Please send me a midrange computer" do you expect 200 units delivered to your door, or do you expect just ONE computer to be delivered?
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
New Correction
The "over 500 Sun boxes" was not meant to imply one midrange. Each, loosely termed, application may have anywhere from 1 to 25 Sun boxes. Each Sun box cluster (even if only 1 box) is considered a midrange system.

The 1400 NT boxes are again either stand-alone or clustered to support applications. None of which are considered midrange. The USPS email system runs on NT boxes. (Special application prints out the email, puts a stamp on it and delivers in to your desktop ;-j )

If I were to call IBM for a midrange, I'd expect an iSeries (a.k.a. AS400).
New How about basing it on the crash test?
If it doesn't crash, even if you set off a grenade in its innards; it's a mainframe.

If it does crash, but infrequently, it's midrange.

If crashes are common, it's personal.

And if crashes are routine, it's Windows.

Brian Bronson
New Dunno about that
I've known people who've caused the mainframe to crash, requiring an IPL. It does take practice to get that "good" ;-j
New I've only seen a midrange crash once.
Once, in 6 years, with an AS/400 - someone tried out a dodgy, seldom-used serial line debug program.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I've already made up my mind
and so did the company 13 years ago. I won't comment any further.
lincoln
New I don't have a horse in this race
jbrabeck's description above makes about as much sense as any other distinction I've heard.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
     Anybody know what McDonald's uses? - (mmoffitt) - (38)
         ... - (admin) - (20)
             No. - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                 Have to agree with the Tomcat people. - (admin) - (14)
                     Re: seeing the application. - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                         Bad code in any language is like that. - (admin) - (12)
                             I'll try for permission to show you. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                 Bad code... - (admin) - (10)
                                     Rossish? :0) - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                         I've used PHP. - (admin) - (8)
                                             To each his own. But, - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                 If you have the inhouse experience - (admin) - (6)
                                                     Heh. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         WTF? - (admin) - (4)
                                                             Yes, sig 11 w/different JDK's. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 Re: Yes, sig 11 w/different JDK's. - (admin) - (2)
                                                                     Nope. No JNI. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                     Dude, - (mmoffitt)
                 This thread? - (admin) - (3)
                     Yeah, that's it ;0) [Edit: Found my post} - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         Have you since checked the release notes... - (admin) - (1)
                             No, I haven't. Been too busy w/loads of other stuff. - (mmoffitt)
         Well, their store systems run on . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             Shall we boycott McDonalds until they change that? :-) -NT - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                 I already boycott McBurp, out of flavor not IT -NT - (boxley)
                 I can't do that. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Tandem mainframe at Oak Brook, IL world HQ -NT - (lincoln) - (11)
             Make up your mind, is it Tandem or is it mainframe? :-P -NT - (drewk) - (10)
                 Come on Drew, no baiting... - (jbrabeck) - (7)
                     Your criteria has to be modified - (lincoln) - (3)
                         Didja miss the ;-j - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                             I did miss the ;-j - (lincoln) - (1)
                                 Correction - (jbrabeck)
                     How about basing it on the crash test? - (bbronson) - (2)
                         Dunno about that - (jbrabeck)
                         I've only seen a midrange crash once. - (admin)
                 I've already made up my mind - (lincoln) - (1)
                     I don't have a horse in this race - (drewk)
         Thanks All! -NT - (mmoffitt)

Shock the monkey!
386 ms