IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nit. Pashtun aren't the majority in Afghanistan.
Hi Doug,

The tribal groups included Tajiks, Uzbecks both of who were suspicious of the majority Pashtuns (and remain so today).

I don't know about the case in 1747, but the Pashtun aren't the majority in Afghanistan today. (I note that you're not saying they are. Your post is just a convenient place to make this point. :-) I think it needs to be made because much of the US press is reporting that the Pashtun is the majority ethnic group in Afghanistan today.)

[link|http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html|The CIA Factbook] says the following about Afghanistan's ethnic groups:

Ethnic groups:
Pashtun 38%, Tajik 25%, Hazara 19%, minor ethnic groups (Aimaks, Turkmen, Baloch, and others) 12%, Uzbek 6%

Religions:
Sunni Muslim 84%, Shi'a Muslim 15%, other 1%

Languages:
Pashtu 35%, Afghan Persian (Dari) 50%, Turkic languages (primarily Uzbek and Turkmen) 11%, 30 minor languages (primarily Balochi and Pashai) 4%, much bilingualism

[...]

Infant mortality rate:
147.02 deaths/1,000 live births (2001 est.)

Life expectancy at
birth:
total population: 46.24 years
...male: 46.97 years
...female: 45.47 years (2001 est.)

Total fertility rate:
5.79 children born/woman (2001 est.)

[...]

Literacy:
definition: age 15 and over can read and write

total population: 31.5%
male: 47.2%
female: 15% (1999 est.)

There's lots more info about Afghanistan there, but little history.

The Pashtun have a [link|http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=plurality|plurality], but not a [link|http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=majority|majority]. They aren't >= 50% of the population. The press members who reports these things should know better.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit here. :-)

The extremely low literacy rate, especially among women, makes it difficult for things like pamphlet drops and food drops to have the desired results. :-(

Interesting writeup, Doug. Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Nit. Pashtun aren't the majority in Afghanistan.

Fair comment - In 1747 & for 100 years or so the actual area was samller that the final Afghan borders of today - sevarl additional areas got appended & you are right, the Afghan/Pashtun people were > 50% back then but from your info they aren't an absolute majority today.

Cheers

Doug
     Influential Afghan leaders pave way for new rulers also OBL - (dmarker2) - (7)
         Oh Right! - (wharris2) - (6)
             Different tribes? Vas you dere, Charlie? - (Ashton)
             Re: Oh Right! - get your history right ... - (dmarker2) - (3)
                 Re: More precise detail on formation of Afghanistan - (dmarker2) - (2)
                     Nit. Pashtun aren't the majority in Afghanistan. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Re: Nit. Pashtun aren't the majority in Afghanistan. - (dmarker2)
             Re: Perhaps we need to ... - (dmarker2)

The reaction times on these are really impressive.
49 ms