IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not like a stack
more like a queue... priority queues are often implemented as heaps. Heaps are good for things other than FIFO/LIFO.

It's probably just using it to store the objects so it can reliably resolve object references in nlogn time. Partly depends on what kind of heap it is.

Can you tell I've been taking a course in data structures this term:)

Question... on my implementation, the max_heap switch is in kilobytes, which makes that number 800 GB, not MB. Try knocking off the last three zeros and then check your memory consumption. The heap size parameters are not standardized, so one implementation is free to refer to maxheap in kilobytes while another one might do it in bytes. In short, the number can be good for the vendor's implementation of Java, while complete GIGO for yours.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New we are using bea as is the vendor
our system is built to their specs. We replaced the lower values and now its running
thanx,
bill
In Bush\ufffds America, fighting terrorism abroad is used as a pretext for vanquishing civil liberties at home. David Podvin
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Yes, I can tell that you have just taken data structures...
...and got horribly confused thereby. :-P

There are multiple things called heaps. When people talk about "the heap", they usually are referring to how programs address things. The heap is the area that C programs reserve things in and free things from through calls to malloc, calloc, realloc, and free.

This is the opposite of "the stack", which is where data is placed on and removed from as you enter/exit functions.

Inside of "the heap" people will often create stacks, heaps, linked list and various other interesting data structures.

HTH,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
     HALP! Java question MAX_HEAPSIZE=817152000 - (boxley) - (23)
         800M? - (Arkadiy) - (22)
             hpux on 8400's not intel - (boxley) - (21)
                 Not like a stack - (jake123) - (2)
                     we are using bea as is the vendor - (boxley)
                     Yes, I can tell that you have just taken data structures... - (ben_tilly)
                 Java's heap is where all its objects live - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                     300M -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                         A link found - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                             thanks -NT - (boxley)
                             that link seemed to have nailed it - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Google: Instant Expert-in-a-box -NT - (Arkadiy)
                 The heap is the opposite of the stack - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                     more an object repository in memory? -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                         Not quite - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                             the only problem is - (boxley) - (8)
                                 I don't know why it would become borked - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                     All of your guesses are for me to follow up - (boxley) - (6)
                                         One other thing to follow up on... - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                             That will happen if the heap size is > available memory - (admin) - (2)
                                                 Did you read the whole thread, carefully? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                     Nope, but doesn't invalidate my comment. :-) - (admin)
                                             playing with slight increments gives mucky mucks heartburn -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 Stupid muckers - tell them "This is how it's done, so STFU." -NT - (CRConrad)

Whosoever shall run XVGA, and cause it to display a multitude of hues, there shall the beaver soon make his home. Let it be written - let it be so.
75 ms