IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New the "my" keyword is wonky-wonky-wonky
Things like that just ruin it for me. It's like Chairman Larry is everywhere.

Programming does not need possessive pronouns. Something like "local" would have been just as good. But Larry the skin irritant has to be coy. ARGH.

edit brain-hand fart
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter March 25, 2004, 08:24:51 PM EST
New No, local would NOT be just as good
Because local was already in use for something else. Changing what local did would have broken backwards compatibility in a large (and gratuitous) fashion.

It is a fact of life in any large software project. Things move in unanticipated directions. The name that you want is already taken. You therefore need a different name.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Not tied to the word itself
..it's just that "my" seems too touchy-feely. What about non-English speaking programmers? Programming survived for many years without self-reference.

Another one is "die" - double-ugh. Why not "quit" or "stop" or "abort" or "end" or or or? These things are just Larryisms. Doing Perl means putting up with Larry peeing on your toilet seat all the time.

These things seem trivial but there is a Zen-ness to programming - the form should be impersonal. It's an aesthetic, not a technical requirement.

Same for the prefix operators. It would have been just as easy to use declarations and redeclarations.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter March 25, 2004, 09:22:42 PM EST
New Well, it's obviously not to your taste
But I really don't understand why you're motivated to bitch so mightily about it.

Regards,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Re: Well, it's obviously not to your taste
I'll tell you why - because as an old APLer, I was thrilled with Perl in the beginning. A coworker asked me to evaluate it for a project he was working on - he wasn't a programmer as such. I was with it a few days when I started noticing how irritated I was when trying to read the code. I'd never really been emotionally irritated by something as abstract as a language, so I started looking into the history of it. A few of the ponderous smart-ass screeds of Wall gave me my answer.

I would give anything if there were a profitable programming skill I could at least tolerate. I love programming, but all the beautiful idioms are dead in the water. That is why I bitch.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter March 26, 2004, 01:24:06 AM EST
     Perl code to generate a blank .gif file - (admin) - (13)
         Oh "my" - niceness spoiled by language gouges -NT - (deSitter) - (6)
             ? -NT - (admin) - (5)
                 the "my" keyword is wonky-wonky-wonky - (deSitter) - (4)
                     No, local would NOT be just as good - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         Not tied to the word itself - (deSitter) - (2)
                             Well, it's obviously not to your taste - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Re: Well, it's obviously not to your taste - (deSitter)
         How about style nits instead? - (ben_tilly) - (5)
             Re: How about style nits instead? - (admin) - (4)
                 Question - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                     can't get there from here - (cforde) - (2)
                         Whom God favors, he shall be allowed the half measure of Tab -NT - (deSitter)
                         Look at the root post... - (ben_tilly)