IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Latest version of Resume
[link|http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaywm/Jay_Resume3.html|Resume]

This is what I'm thinking of using as the new version of my resume. I'm wondering about the wording of the Microsoft Office section. I decided to put that on the resume itself because I've applied to more then 4 jobs in the past 2 weeks that involved working with or migrating from Access. I ended up putting them in their own grouping because they don't really belong under languages or platforms. They would go better in platforms but I'm worried they might not be understood by HR people if I list them there.

The other change was filling in the gap between Gateway and CDS with a listing for independent consulting. More or less a way to make a single sensible entry out of the assortmant of overlapping full and part time work I did which included regular jobs, temping, contract work and indpendent consulting. I decided it was too big a gap to leave empty, but too messy to try and list individually.

Anybody have any comments?

Jay
New few things.
I think it's a pretty good start but needs more.

1) add XP and Server 2003 to your M$ platforms list, they're just a point release to 2K and not having them on there will close doors and not get your resume past HR.

2) add environment to your AS/400 list: looks like OS/400? (Do any REXX?, how about shell scripting in Linux?)

3) Fill in some detail during your consulting and Gateway periods: projects, highlights, application of skills?

4) Move HTML under Programming Languages. (I KNOW! but HR drones, don't.) I think I'd also remove the 'IBM' from PC Hardware and Networking...judgement call. Ditto to the 'Programming' in front of platforms.

5) The MS Office section needs something...I think I'd list VBA as a separate bullet, just for a cleaner look.

I'd say 1-3 are musts, 4 and 5 are judgement calls.

Your skills section should get you past HR drones looking for specific buzzwords, but I think your work history needs some embellishment to demonstrate usage of the skills mentioned to pique interest of the hiring manager. If you can, quantify the benefits of some or all your accomplishments, like how much money was saved, how was productivity increased, how was customer satisfaction increased.

You want to demonstrate that not only do you understand and know how to use the technical tools at your disposal, but that you also know how to use them in the business environment to get. things. done.

HTH!

-----
Steve
New Re: recommendation for 2)
Just asking, should he say AS/400 or iSeries for platform? It's been renamed, you know ;-0
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Re: Latest version of Resume
Name your consultancy clients.
qts
     Latest version of Resume - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
         few things. - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
             Re: recommendation for 2) - (mmoffitt)
         Re: Latest version of Resume - (qstephens)

Looks like a helluva party to me! Begone evil spirits!!
45 ms