IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Expensive mistake
Oh, to have all this electrical knowledge.

As opposed to me, who screwed up and ordered
a pure 220V UPS, and am unable to return it.

Really.

I've got a computer room filled with both
110 and 220 gear. But since I typically deal
with 2TB, 4 Sun 450s, and 6 Linux boxes at
a time (including power), I will get several
UPSs for each project.

I like APC MX5000 Extended Run, which I typically
get via CDW:
[link|http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=079017|http://www.cdw.com/...p?EDC=079017]

But there is a model listed MX5000, exactly the same
(or so I thought), but is the pure European model, which
means these wierd 220V plugs (but only a piddly max
15AMP per plug, I use 30 amp 220V for my big boxen).

CDW told me to jam it, they weren't taking it back.

So I've blown about $7000 on 2 of them. I'l scavenge
the battery portion and daisy chain them off another
one, but the main unit is a waste.

Oh well.
New Well.. one possibility
If it's the ~pure sinewave version: 2:1 step-down transformer - though it will be a bit hefty at 3 KW/plug. This won't work for the modified-square-wave of the usual output, intended for switching PS's. (Dunno if Sun uses linear PSs, for some of their ovens?)

(I can't quite see why they'd be unwilling to take it back unused, though. Especially ordering in that league)

Let me know if you plan to toss the guts, please - though I haven't any immediate ideas for use of such a gadget..

Ashton
New 220 UPS outputs
Check the PSs on your boxen. Many, many of the better quality power supplies nowadays are "universal input", allowing 85 - 245 or 95 - 265V inputs; just change the power cord w/IEC connector for the plug in country of choice. Cuts down on the inventory problems... I'd imagine anything as expensive as a Sun would have such a supply; huge numbers of relatively cheap PCs do.

Even in cases of non-universal input, many still have the switch to allow hi/lo AC input [though it isn't the old-fashioned transformer windings; dunno exactly how they do it -- switching power supplies are black magic to me]

And re: 110/220 -- the one that bugs me is three-phase. First off, why isn't three-phase more common? Wonderful power saver for motors; you could probably make a sizeable dent in base power consumption just by running refrigerators on three-phase power instead of using shaded-pole motors, and my God the air conditioners.

Here in the US we use "Delta" -- the three phases are arranged in a triangle. When it comes onto a premises, there's a ground in the middle of one side. Each side is thus 220 with respect to any other point, but reading from ground, you've got 110, 100, and the "wild phase", 208 volts. Trouble with that is circulating current; if the transformers don't exactly match, current flows around the loop, accomplishing nothing but heating the air. Other countries use "star" (also called "wye"), in which ground is the center and the three windings branch off, not interconnected. No circulating current, better efficiency.

110V three-phase wye would yield about 190V phase-to-phase, and running all three phases would (if the equipment were available) improve efficiency. Is it all a case of coping with legacy (=antique) gear?
Regards,
Ric
     220 vs 110 - (bluke) - (32)
         220 is considered "safer" - (jb4) - (24)
             Re: 220 is considered "safer" - (a6l6e6x) - (23)
                 Hrm??? - (jb4) - (8)
                     He's right on safety. - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                         Then too: you actually *have* 220V coming in.. - (Ashton)
                         Isn't that exactly Edison's old anti-Tesla PR you're burpin? -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                             Yabut.. that's a can o'worms anyway. - (Ashton)
                             The very one - but Tesla pulled the wool . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                 Yeah, wasn't that *sneaky*? - out M$'d M$.. -NT - (Ashton)
                                 But the POINT is, DC would have fried 'em just as well! -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     "Fry" is the operative word here. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 It's the waveform. - (imric) - (13)
                     Umm sorry. No. - (Ashton) - (12)
                         Ah, yes. - (imric) - (11)
                             Ah well.. now yer gettin fancy - (Ashton) - (10)
                                 *grin* You'd think! - (imric) - (6)
                                     Migawd.. it's in your genes! - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         Ya ever shake hands with a farmer? - (imric) - (1)
                                             My uncles ran a machine shop. - (Ashton)
                                     Expensive mistake - (broomberg) - (2)
                                         Well.. one possibility - (Ashton)
                                         220 UPS outputs - (Ric Locke)
                                 3-phase voltages. - (static) - (2)
                                     Huh? We just went TO 240, from 220! (BTW, hi--volt was 380v) -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         Just went *to* 240V...? - (static)
         Remains of Edison's anti-AC, pro-DC propaganda? Just a guess -NT - (CRConrad)
         Early adopters. - (addison) - (5)
             Like Cell Phones - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                 As I understand it, that's more due to market fragmentation: - (CRConrad)
                 CRC has that about right. - (static) - (2)
                     Not quite right -- GSM enforced by EU, CDMA is more advanced - (tonytib) - (1)
                         CDMA in .au, too - (Meerkat)

Be still, my beating heart.
101 ms