IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Early adopters.
The US was the first to start putting in power on a wide scale.

Started with 110V... by the time the Europeans and others were doing the same, the technology had advanced to where 220 was more practical, but the US had too much 110... you know, lock in and switching value. :)

Lemme see.. Aha. :) I thought they had a column on it:

[link|http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_292.html|How come the U.S. uses 120 volt electricity, not 240 like the rest of the world?]

Ah, the Straight Dope... Should be #2 on the search list, after google. :)

Addison
New Like Cell Phones
From what I understand, the cell phone networks in Europe have more features and are better integrated(such as while roaming) than in the state.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New As I understand it, that's more due to market fragmentation:
The problem with cell phone integration in the US is that each operator decided on their *own* system, in stead of agreeing to use a single unified one. Each system, in and of itself, could have features just as good as those of the European GSM network[1], but it makes integration between them damn difficult.

[1]: I'm not saying they do, but they *could*. (Not saying they don't, either.)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New CRC has that about right.
A number of standards setters and carriers got together to create the Global System for Mobiles - GSM. Europe and most of the world signed up for it. The US decided they could come up with their own. But GSM does have a lot of good features that few other systems have. I notice that US carriers are starting to implement GSM now.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Not quite right -- GSM enforced by EU, CDMA is more advanced
Pretty sure GSM was mandated by EU, o/w Europe would have the same mix of standards that the US has.

But, on the other hand, allowing for newer standards does allow for more rapid technological advancement. The US lack of standards allowed Sprint PCS to deploy the first CDMA network -- at the time they started, many people doubted it would work. But it works quite well, and in fact will become the dominant 3G technology -- although in two flavors, of course: W-CDMA for the Euros (best GSM upgrade path) and cdma2000 for IS-95 (best upgrade path for current CDMA) systems.

And, if Sprint can deliver, we'll have 144K bps 2.5G CDMA nationwide by the end of 2002, while GSM even in Europe will be limited to the 36K or so if you're lucky GPRS. In about a year, I'll probably upgrade to a new Sprint phone capable of handling those rates, so I may be able to give hard data then. (Sprint is claiming megabit rates by 2004 or so, but I'd be pretty happy if they could just truly deliver 144K nationwide).

BTW, I believe that CDMA is also being deployed in Korea and China and I think Japan (at least DoCoMo) has their own standards, too.

That said, there is a lot to be said for standards -- or at least getting better interoperability. There's no technical reason why I cann't send a SMS message from a CDMA phone to a GSM phone -- except that the US cell companies don't seem to care.

Finally, there's one big reason GSM has a bad name in California:
currently the only GSM carrier in California is: Pacific Hell (now Cingular)
My former bosses's quote: "My GSM phone works great....except in California."

Tony
New CDMA in .au, too
Primarily touted as a replacement for the AMPS analogue network - the main selling point being a CDMA phone can work further away from a base station than a GSM one. Other side benefits being CDMA doesn't interfere near as much with radios, hearing aids, and the like.

CDMA doesn't necessarily = fast though. I believe the current CDMA networks here offer 14.4K data rates. (No idea ATM which flavour of CDMA this is called). 'Til 3G comes along of course.

.au has CDMA<->GSM SMS interoperability between most, but not all, carriers,
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
     220 vs 110 - (bluke) - (32)
         220 is considered "safer" - (jb4) - (24)
             Re: 220 is considered "safer" - (a6l6e6x) - (23)
                 Hrm??? - (jb4) - (8)
                     He's right on safety. - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                         Then too: you actually *have* 220V coming in.. - (Ashton)
                         Isn't that exactly Edison's old anti-Tesla PR you're burpin? -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                             Yabut.. that's a can o'worms anyway. - (Ashton)
                             The very one - but Tesla pulled the wool . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                 Yeah, wasn't that *sneaky*? - out M$'d M$.. -NT - (Ashton)
                                 But the POINT is, DC would have fried 'em just as well! -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     "Fry" is the operative word here. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 It's the waveform. - (imric) - (13)
                     Umm sorry. No. - (Ashton) - (12)
                         Ah, yes. - (imric) - (11)
                             Ah well.. now yer gettin fancy - (Ashton) - (10)
                                 *grin* You'd think! - (imric) - (6)
                                     Migawd.. it's in your genes! - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         Ya ever shake hands with a farmer? - (imric) - (1)
                                             My uncles ran a machine shop. - (Ashton)
                                     Expensive mistake - (broomberg) - (2)
                                         Well.. one possibility - (Ashton)
                                         220 UPS outputs - (Ric Locke)
                                 3-phase voltages. - (static) - (2)
                                     Huh? We just went TO 240, from 220! (BTW, hi--volt was 380v) -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         Just went *to* 240V...? - (static)
         Remains of Edison's anti-AC, pro-DC propaganda? Just a guess -NT - (CRConrad)
         Early adopters. - (addison) - (5)
             Like Cell Phones - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                 As I understand it, that's more due to market fragmentation: - (CRConrad)
                 CRC has that about right. - (static) - (2)
                     Not quite right -- GSM enforced by EU, CDMA is more advanced - (tonytib) - (1)
                         CDMA in .au, too - (Meerkat)

Cosmological belly bomber.
59 ms