IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And I thought the problem with torture was ...
that it is illegal and a violation of human rights.
New But why is it illegal and agreed to be a violation?
A few centuries ago, people nearly universally considered torture to be perfectly reasonable as a way of getting information from suspects. It was widely used for exactly that purpose, and the Inquisition in particular perfected means to get people to talk which left no injuries or marks on their bodies.

The argument which got it to stop was that it was unreliable. People talked, yes. They babbled incoherently, and they babbled anything and everything that they could think of. Very useful for keeping a witch hunt going. Somewhat less so if you want to see justice done.

Once it was no longer used, and people no longer believed that there was an overriding need to have it be used, the general public came to abhor it, and we wound up with our current attitudes. But I don't believe that we as a society would have come to that conclusion if it was seen as necessary to protect against clear and present danger.

Similar arguments apply to beating children. Virtually nobody thinks it is a pleasant thing to hit a child repeatedly intending to inflict pain. However what got our society to stop doing it in our schools was doubts about whether it worked. Today there are arguments in our society over whether spanking is wrong. The extreme cases are labelled "abuse".

If society continues as it is going, I can see a day where virtually all spanking would be called abuse, and people will be horrified that it ever happened.

But that wouldn't change the fact that it once was common and widespread, and originally ceased to be so because it was considered ineffective, not because people thought it was utterly wrong. (Indeed there are many people I know who don't spank their children but who would in a heartbeat if they thought it worked.)

Cheers,
Ben
New Torture is not wrong?
If torture did work to get reliable information, should it be used? The US Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment, why? Slavery was thought in the not so distant past to be moral, it is now agreed that it is immoral, why is torture different?
New Of course torture is wrong
So is murder.

Yet what do you think the US is attempting to do to the Taliban leadership? With the full support of a population that believes murder to be wrong?

The fact is that when we don't do things simply because they are bad, we may be inclined to do them anyways to prevent something worse. I don't know about you, but while I consider torturing 150 people heinous, it is not as bad as killing 6,000.

You are far less likely to do something bad if you think it won't work. And that is sadly the case with torture.

So we have 150 suspects. At a guess, perhaps 10 of them belong to al Qaeda. We don't know which 10, but we want to know what that 10 knows. So we torture. What happens?

Well 140 innocent people start saying anything that comes to mind to stop the pain. So we have 140 people laying random trails. But what about the 10?

If al Qaeda has any brains, they have already prepared their members for the possibility of torture. Such preparation is surprisingly simple. What you need to do is recognize that if you are tortured, you will break. So you torture your men a bit ahead of time so that they really understand that they don't have it in them to be heros under torture. Then you teach them how to break. It is quite simple really. What they have to do is give up, before they have really exhausted every internal resource, play wimps, and then start volunteering a bunch of names of people they choose at random. After all when you are being tortured, telling the truth doesn't help because the torturer doesn't know what is true and what is not. So you might as well lie early and often.

So you torture 150 people, 10 of whom know stuff you want to know, and you get 150 sets of false trails for your effort. Wonderful. You have just done something evil and despicable, and for your efforts you now get to waste a bunch more energy on false information, in which process you will waste energy and do more evil and despicable things.

Cheers,
Ben

PS BTW the lessons on how to handle torture were part of the training that US Marines got for Vietnam before being sent over. I heard about it from a brother who received that training.
New Handling torture.
Just had a discussion with ex-Green Beret co-worker. They actually beat them in torture training.

No problem, he said. But its when they started beating the TEAM MEMBERS, that was what was hard to deal with.

If you have a long time, you can break anybody and get what you want. But that takes a _long_ time. These guys are also motivated.. so it will be difficult.

Part of the problem is there is no _leverage_. (Which I think the FBI is attempting to get by saying loudly, "Well, if the bastards won't talk to us, lets see what they'll say to Israel." As much as they might hate the US - there's a reason they didn't attack Tel Aviv.

Addison
New Very slippery slope
Where does it stop? How far do we go until we are as bad as Osama Bin Laden?
New Hopefully we stop here
Which is one of the reasons that I try to focus on what I consider the most effective arguments against torture, rather than on ones which appeal to emotions that work much better in peacetime, but which tend to be ignored in war.

Cheers,
Ben
New Interesting reading...
There was a simple book at one time call "A Handbook for Spies" detailing the life of an Israelie spy in Egypt.

His comments on torture seem to agree with yours. Anyone can be broken (specially with the drugs they have) and therefore it's better to wimp out and confuse the enemy by giving false data as well as good. (It then becomes a game to remember what lies you've told, as they would come back and ask questions trying to trip you up.)

New For this reason...
I wonder how much actual information they are being given. I have a feeling that the seperate cells were being given only the information they need to perform their individual acts of terrorism. Any other "information" they were given could be false just to ensure that if they were captured we would be getting bad info if anything. Sort of a "doomed spy" (see Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" Chapter 13 Para 23 or the movie if you're too lazy to read :)).
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
New of children & what works
Some reading I recommend:
[link|http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=0891093117|Parenting with Love and Logic: Teaching Children Responsibility]

[link|http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=1572240407|Kid Cooperation: How to Stop Yelling, Nagging & Pleading and Get Kids to Cooperate]

There are many others in a similar vein, but these two are particularly good and practical.

Hmmm, now how to apply these principles to get terrorists to cooperate...
Have fun,
Carl Forde
     FBI: suspects silent, alternative interrogation considered - (kmself) - (22)
         The problem with torture... - (ben_tilly) - (11)
             And I thought the problem with torture was ... - (bluke) - (9)
                 But why is it illegal and agreed to be a violation? - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                     Torture is not wrong? - (bluke) - (6)
                         Of course torture is wrong - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                             Handling torture. - (addison)
                             Very slippery slope - (bluke) - (1)
                                 Hopefully we stop here - (ben_tilly)
                             Interesting reading... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                 For this reason... - (Steven A S)
                     of children & what works - (cforde)
             Just let 'em talk . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Lets call a spade a spade - (bluke) - (1)
             Needn't be torture. - (marlowe)
         no torture here - (boxley) - (4)
             American MCM can only be conviened for American Military - (Steven A S) - (3)
                 Were the nuremburg trials civil or court marshal ? - (boxley) - (2)
                     War Crimes Before the International Military Tribunal - (a6l6e6x)
                     International Tribunal - (Steven A S)
         American Cave Men - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Wasting? - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Well if its going to spoil anyway - (tuberculosis)

This is starting to sound like and invasion of "Them!". EE-EE-EE-EE-EE-EE-krrrrrk-ick-ick-ick-ka-ka-ka. Sheesh!
59 ms