IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: That's what I'm more worried about.
You don't need a suitcase either - a simple shipping container will do in any port city you need.

More viable than a suitcase, for certain.

And I don't know how much of an effect such a shot would have. It would definately take out the port - but the effect would be very limited. Since it will be at Sea level, the blast will be largely dissapated up, the radiation (including heat) will be concentrated closely, and absorbed.

I suppose I'm thinking in terms of Charleston, SC and the like.. hitting NY with something like that would expose (I think) a lot of the towers/skyscrapers to the blast... How effective that would be is still a question, but it would be far more effective in cities with high-rises next to the port than those ports without...

I'd think you'd have a mile or so area of total destruction at ground zero, all the ships would be sunk... Depends on the target/attempt. I don't know what the effect of the container/ship around it would have, either... sure, its an atomic explosion, but that's got to soak up a lot of the get-going power to vaporize it.

Addison
New Did you see that '80s movie on NBC?
It was quite well done.

A group of US anti-nuclear activists (or some such) had some how stolen a bunch of plutonium and fashioned a crude bomb and had it on a boat in Charleston, SC's (IIRC) harbor. They intended to use it to force the US to disarm its weapons, or something of the sort.

They had a portable TV camera which let them broadcast their demands, etc., (and let the movie take place). It becomes a media circus, as you might imagine.

The main actor had gotton plutonium poisoning, so he was a gonner no matter what happened....

The bomb on the boat is booby-trapped. Anti-terrorist commandos raid the boat, but are unable to disarm the bomb...

It goes off. Thousands are killed....

A few days pass, and life goes on...

It was a good show. I wish I could recall the title. :-( I think it was on NBC in the very early '80s, when the nuclear missile debate was very intense, especially in Europe.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Anthrax Disinformation.. - (addison) - (21)
         Same with nuclear weapons - (Fearless Freep) - (20)
             That's what I'm more worried about. - (inthane-chan) - (8)
                 Some of our largest cities are ports... -NT - (admin) - (2)
                     ALL our largest cities are ports: - (kmself) - (1)
                         Yeah, we're screwed. :P -NT - (inthane-chan)
                 Not too much to worry - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                     Yeah, read that book. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                     Generally so, but.. - (Ashton)
                 Re: That's what I'm more worried about. - (addison) - (1)
                     Did you see that '80s movie on NBC? - (Another Scott)
             uh, actually no - (boxley)
             No So - (deSitter)
             Tsk, tsk, why bother with a bomb? - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                 For that matter, why bother with nuclear material? - (Silverlock) - (7)
                     Fear. - (addison) - (5)
                         What was really scary about Hiroshima/Nagasaki... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                             Doolittle - (kmself) - (2)
                                 Um, that is spelled "Pearl" - (ben_tilly)
                                 To be fair.. - (addison)
                         Exactly, fear - (ben_tilly)
                     Anyone reading or posting in this forum could, - (Ashton)

IANK.
105 ms