IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New In my case, strictly self-induced
It doesn't help that I was working with a start-up department and a start-up company at the same time, but the people I work with are quite agreeable. Mostly pressure that I placed on myself.

I agree that the symptoms were likely stress related. A nice break from work would've been nice, but the people I work with seem to have this notion that things would fall apart if I wasn't around. So I've been slowly trying to get the same amount of work done whilst not pressuring myself. Been much better.
New Some advice
I got this from my current instructor, so maybe it will help you as well.

#1 Work in 90 minute intervals, and then take a break. Overworking can lead to stress and can exhast you. Even if you just stand up and stretch or get a glass of water or breathe deeply for 5 minutes it is better than pushing yourself too hard.

#2 Take time to relax, sit up straight in your chair, breathe in through your mouth and out through your nose. Take Diaphram breaths, deep breathing like an Opera Singer might take. Imagine you are at the best vacation you ever have been to or wanted to go to. Think positive things and relax. Then start working.

#3 Drink plenty of water, as being dehydrated can make things worse. For one it can lead to more stress, for another it can cause your body to not burn off enough fat. If your lips are chapped or dry and your hands are dry, drink more water. Doesn't have to be bottled or from a machine, tap water will do as well. Your brain also works better with the right amount of water in your body.

#4 Get plenty of rest at home before going to work. If your body is exhasted, your mind and spirit and emotions will follow.

#5 Learn to pace yourself. Don't always hit Home Runs, try to hit Singles too. Singles do add up and complement Home Runs. Can't get a Grand Slam without three singles.

Best advice a co-worker gave me is to imagine you are eating an elephant. You cannot eat it all in one day, and you have to take small bites, until eventually the elephant is all gone. Or to cite "What about Bob?" take "Baby Steps".

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

Expand Edited by orion Nov. 18, 2003, 12:43:47 PM EST
New Re: Some advice
Some other advice, kinda an addendum to Orion's #2...

If you sit too long at say, a computer, or something, and your muscles get tense, you should flex your neck or stretch your arms out or something. Myself, I was sitting here doing things so long my neck was tensing up, so I programmed my organizing program to remind me to flex my neck every two hours. :)

Nightowl >8#
"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl {O,O}
     Pondering on the thanks. - (ChrisR) - (14)
         Glad it helped! :-) - (admin) - (9)
             Sarbanes-Oxley solutions - (ChrisR) - (8)
                 Re: Sarbanes-Oxley solutions - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Wish I could get some help - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         OK, I'm here if needed -NT - (deSitter)
                 Cool, and good luck with the venture. - (admin) - (2)
                     Got some internet stocks for cheap, cheap - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         Passing on a book recommendation: - (admin)
                 Microsoft to add Sarbanes-Oxley functionality to Office - (admin) - (1)
                     Looked at SharePoint a while back - (ChrisR)
         Sounds like my stress - (orion) - (3)
             In my case, strictly self-induced - (ChrisR) - (2)
                 Some advice - (orion) - (1)
                     Re: Some advice - (Nightowl)

It's a trick. Get an axe.
63 ms