IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Doug Marker, (or anyone else) a Chinese question.
Do you know, or could you find out, the meaning, if any, of the Chinese name Tsing-Tsing. It was the name of a male panda given by PRC to the US in the days of US president Nixon. The panda lived in the National Zoo in Washington, DC until he died at age 27.

There is a Tsing Hua University on Taiwan.

There is the Tsing Ma Suspension Bridge linking Tsing Yi to Ma Wan and the Kwai Tsing Theatre with which I'm sure you are familiar.

There is even a Tsing Tao (Chinese of course) restaurant here in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Is Tsing just a name or does it have meaning? What is the significance of repeating it as Tsing-Tsing?

The reason I'm asking is quite plain. My wife and I got female Pekingese puppy recently and went through a naming process. Along with other trial balloons, it went from Cinnamon which describes the pup but rejected as too long, to Cindy later rejected because it's a people name, to Cin-Cin (or Sin-Sin) followed by a jump to Tsing-Tsing to reflect the Chinese heritage. And that's where it is. Now, I wonder if in Chinese, this would not be such an inspired choice.
Alex

E Pluribus, Unum.
New why dont you call it yap? or Yip Yap:)
has chinese flavor and is accurate. tsing tsing sounds either like a new york prison or the sound of a cash register.:) remeber this is from a guy who has owned sarge, rex and dog as well as sashu, shoe and bark.
thanx,
bill
What is a user? You mean userid isnt the same as uid?, gid? whats that? I dont understand "ask the requestor to send a non formal email request for ftp access? whaddya mean dean?
Halp Iam drowning in Bovine Fecal Matter!!!!
Bill
New Yap they do, when they get a bit older.
We've had pekes before. The last one, which lived to be 15 years old, yapped plenty until her hearing began to fail. The doorbell, in particular, used to set her off.
Alex

Whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad. -- Euripides
New Generic answer
I don't know the specific meaning of that panda's name--google is probably your best friend in this matter.

But the "meaning" of a Chinese name can be quite ambiguous without tone. The same written syllable, fu, for example, can have many different meanings based on whether the tone is sustained, rising, falling, or has a light dip and then rises again (these four tones, plus a no-tone, are endemic to spoken Chinese). In addition, two words with the same tone take on different meanings in context, and are represented by different characters.

So unless you're willing to go into all that, name it whatever you want. :) At least there's precedent.
That's her, officer! That's the woman that programmed me for evil!
New Re: Generic answer
Thanks! I didn't think about that tonal attribute of Chinese.
Alex

New Probably something to do with 'lion'
depending on where abouts you are coming from.
Tsing Tao beer features a lion on the label.
The Sikh name Singh means lion.
I forget where Singha beer (also with a lion) comes from, but it's probably not Canada.
It's probably a common root having to do with lion, adjusted for tone and anglic spelling.

Just a guess,
Hugh
New Singha beer? I think that is from Thailand.
New Correct! BOONRAWD BREWERY CO.,LTD.
I remember seeing it on my trip to Thailand in October. I think it is made there, they also sold bottled water. We bought a lot of bottled water while on trip there. I think it has a red standing lion on it.

[link|http://www.tcc.or.th/dep5/member/drink.htm|Click here for more info]

[link|http://www.student.chula.ac.th/~02419426/Boonrawd_Brewery_Public_Compan/boonrawd_brewery_public_compan.html|Click here for more info]

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New The National Zoo spells it "Hsing Hsing"
From [link|http://pandas.si.edu/facts/gphistnzp.htm|their site]:

The 1970s - Arriving

\ufffd Ling-Ling and Hsing-Hsing ("shing-shing") came to the National Zoo on April 16, 1972 as gifts of friendship from the People's Republic of China to the United States.

Still don't know what it translates as, though.

Edit: According to [link|http://pandas.si.edu/facts/gpfaqs.htm#2|this]:

What are their names?

Mei Xiang (may-SHONG), the female, means "beautiful fragrance" in Chinese. Tian Tian (t-YEN t-YEN), the male, means "more and more."

But still, no help for Hsing Hsing. You could probably email them, though, if you cared that much.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]

(Hey, CRC!)
Expand Edited by drewk Oct. 11, 2001, 10:57:58 AM EDT
Expand Edited by drewk Oct. 11, 2001, 04:44:53 PM EDT
New Means "shining star"
Thanks for the pointer - that spelling made it come up rather quickly in Google.

[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/june99/panda2.htm|Here.]

Zoo officials say they are not ready to give up on their most popular attraction, whose name means "shining star" in Chinese. Hsing-Hsing, they say, has proven amazingly resilient. Yesterday, for example, he ate a small amount of bamboo -- a good sign, but he "remains in very serious condition," Hoage said.

(Before CRC complains... :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Oct. 11, 2001, 04:18:28 PM EDT
New IGM[1] may not be the fastest protocol ...
... but it always seems to work.

[1] IWeThey Group Mind
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New Next thing you know he'll ask *me* some dam-fule question...
Droo, you feeling tall and hairy? :-)

I got this prescient LRPD -- "I suggest a new strategy: let the Wookie win." -- so I'm thinking about throwing in the towel on this...
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Is Getting Bored Of Having The Rug Edited Out From Under Him
Expand Edited by CRConrad Oct. 11, 2001, 05:05:05 PM EDT
Expand Edited by CRConrad Oct. 16, 2001, 06:39:03 PM EDT
Expand Edited by CRConrad Oct. 17, 2001, 10:34:00 AM EDT
New Rwwwwwwwwooooooooooooaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr!
Funny, I was just about to call it quits myself.
Expand Edited by drewk Oct. 15, 2001, 09:01:04 AM EDT
Expand Edited by drewk Oct. 17, 2001, 09:44:38 AM EDT
Expand Edited by drewk Oct. 17, 2001, 12:32:24 PM EDT
New /emote misfire
Expand Edited by CRConrad Oct. 11, 2001, 05:05:49 PM EDT
New /emote double misfire
"I suck!"
Expand Edited by CRConrad Oct. 11, 2001, 05:06:29 PM EDT
New Re: The National Zoo spells it "Hsing Hsing"
Thanks for the link. No wonder I didn't get too many hits on Tsing Tsing.

[link|http://hometown.aol.com/sumack37/panda2.htm|The link that confused me.]
Alex

New Two dominant spelling schools
"Hsing" is Wade-Giles, the older, and some people feel: more poetic, spelling system for transliterating Chinese into English.

The Chinese themselves have been using Pinyin for some time now (ie -- schoolchildren in China use it as a stepping-stone to pictography). It's generally considered official, and more rigorous, to boot. The pinyin spelling of "hsing" would be "xing".

The biggest transliteration issue in this case is that Chinese has two sounds which are close to the English "sh" sound. In Pinyin, these are written using "sh" and "x". In other words, shing and xing (pinyin spellings) are different words with different sounds to the Chinese ear, but not necessarily different sounds to the English ear--they both sound like "sh". Same goes for "ch" and "q"--"qing" sounds like "ching" to English audiences.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
     Doug Marker, (or anyone else) a Chinese question. - (a6l6e6x) - (16)
         why dont you call it yap? or Yip Yap:) - (boxley) - (1)
             Yap they do, when they get a bit older. - (a6l6e6x)
         Generic answer - (tseliot) - (1)
             Re: Generic answer - (a6l6e6x)
         Probably something to do with 'lion' - (hnick) - (2)
             Singha beer? I think that is from Thailand. -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Correct! BOONRAWD BREWERY CO.,LTD. - (orion)
         The National Zoo spells it "Hsing Hsing" - (drewk) - (8)
             Means "shining star" - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 IGM[1] may not be the fastest protocol ... - (drewk)
             Next thing you know he'll ask *me* some dam-fule question... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Rwwwwwwwwooooooooooooaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr! - (drewk)
                 /emote misfire -NT - (CRConrad)
                 /emote double misfire -NT - (CRConrad)
             Re: The National Zoo spells it "Hsing Hsing" - (a6l6e6x)
             Two dominant spelling schools - (tseliot)

Aw, good for him.
347 ms