IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My short advice...
If he's using his computer primarily for games - Diablo 2 and Java games - go back to WinXP. He probably won't be happy on Linux.

That's not to say I don't like Linux. I prefer it.

But while Wine is great for the Linux user who wants to run windows programs, it isn't sufficient (imo) for the Windows user who doesn't want to run windows OS. YMMV.

(That also said, follow scoenye's advice on Mozilla and Java. I seem to recall a link having to be made.)
New That is what we did
moved him back to XP Pro now he can play Diablo II and other games.

Not saying Linux is bad, just that it wouldn't run the games he likes to play. If Blizzard had a Linux port of Diablo II and Worlds Of Warcraft, then it might be a different story. The hard part seems to be to get the Gaming Companies to port a Linux version of their popular games.

He downloaded the JRE but couldn't figure out how to run it. He clicked on the file and nothing happened. He didn't know he had to chmod it to make it executable, which extracted the RPM when run, which installs the JRE. This was a turn-off for him. The JRE problem could be fixed, but the Diablo II problem could not be fixed. Since he couldn't connect to Battle.net, he decided to go back to Windows.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: That is what we did
[link|http://appdb.codeweavers.com/appview.php?appId=74&versionId=49;PHPSESSID=b6679ae304b985f308a79784210db461|http://appdb.codewea...308a79784210db461]

Search for 'Diablo2 "NO CD CRACK" (lod28b1) battle.net issue resolved' or 'DII With Battlenet!!!'

GIYF
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Applied many NoCD patches
What we got was an additional program that said it could not find game_crk.exe, which we did put into that directory. When the program was run, for some reason it deletes game_crk.exe in that directory, then says it cannot find it. Followed the instructions, made the script but it still didn't work. Only thing I can think of is that we had the Lord Of Destruction expansion pack installed and it needs a different exe file to work.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New ...
Then if it needs a different exe, use that one in the script instead...
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New We did
we tried all versions of the EXE in the script and with different loaders. If you notice, I posted to that WINE thread on Diablo II, I've read the whole thread before and followed each step to the letter. Nothing we tried would enable Battle.Net, and Battle.Net warned about some patches being Trojans that steal CD keys and that they shut down access from some of the patches. It says so on the Blizzard page at:
[link|http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=aInformation0730p1|http://www.blizzard....Information0730p1]

Blizzard Entertainment considers any third-party program that is designed to affect the way the user interacts with Battle.net a hack program. This includes seemingly harmless third-party utilities that work with the game to provide functions that were not included by the game designers. While many of these utilities might not have been created to disrupt the balance of the game, they alter the original design of the program. The detection of any such program by Battle.net may result in the closure of the user's account or even the temporary or permanent banning of the associated CD-Key.

Blizzard is especially focused on removing hack programs created with cheating in mind, but as mentioned above, using third-party programs designed to make things easier also puts the user\ufffds account and/or CD key at risk. As part of our strict anti-hacking policy, this is our best way to ensure that play on Battle.net is equal for everyone. There are no exceptions to this policy.

Many Hack Programs Contain Hidden Trojan Programs Although the majority of Battle.net players enjoy playing fairly, there are still many who are looking for an unfair advantage. These players\ufffd desire to win at all costs has resulted in the creation of many hack programs. Hack programs violate the Battle.net Terms of Service, and just in the past few months, thousands of players who have used them have been banned from Battle.net.

This includes bypassing the Diablo II/Battle.Net CD check I am told. Could be FUD, but we aren't taking any chances.

Battle.Net does not like patches:
[link|http://www.battle.net/|http://www.battle.net/]

Read the "StarCraft, Diablo II, and Warcraft III Accounts Closed
Tuesday, September 30, 2003"

A number of additional accounts and CD Keys have been tied to the use of a hack or cheat program while playing StarCraft, Diablo II, or Warcraft III on Battle.net. In keeping with our aggressive stance against cheating, we have permanently closed 276,000 StarCraft accounts, 86,000 Diablo II accounts, and 41,000 Warcraft III accounts. We have documented all of the CD Keys that were used with these accounts. 14,000 Warcraft III CD Keys have been banned from ladder play for one month and 2,000 CD Keys are banned from ladder play permanently. Repeat offenders risk having their CD Keys disabled, which will result in the permanent removal of the respective copy of StarCraft, Diablo II, or Warcraft III from Battle.net.

We reinstalled XP, installed Diablo II and LOD expasion without the NoCD patches.

Gamehead brother on Linux part 2 - (orion) - (13)
         missing feature - (JayMehaffey) - (12)
             It needs to be added if Linux wants to gain desktop - (orion) - (11)
                 Try Debian - (scoenye) - (4)
                     Debian: It Just Works - (admin)
                     It can be the easiest of all. - (pwhysall)
                     Ummm . . Aren't you concerned . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Hey, I was there first! - (scoenye)
                 My short advice... - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                     That is what we did - (orion) - (4)
                         Re: That is what we did - (admin) - (3)
                             Applied many NoCD patches - (orion) - (2)
                                 ... - (admin) - (1)
                                     We did - (orion)

...and if a hundred!
44 ms