IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Balance of power. Didn't that lead to World War I?
All those treaties arising from a fetishization of the notion of balance of power, helped turn a Serbian assassination into a global conflagration. And now the transnational progressivists want to sacrifice our world on that same altar. I'd rather try a theory that hasn't been refuted by history, if you don't mind.

Simplistic fulminations yerself. You give me self-superior blather about balance, and flame me for suggesting that maybe we should choose our centroid with some care.

Oh, and by the way: Western style democracy is the closest thing to balance this world has ever seen. There is no such thing as a balance between balance and imbalance.

You're full of bullshit, Ash. Bullshit buttressed by a studied incoherence. No wonder your sentence structure is so awful. It reflects the state of your thought processes all too well.
----------------------------------------------------------------
DEAL WITH IT.
"I do not want to be admired by scumbags and liars and wife beaters. I want to be admired by good and decent, intelligent and just people, and in order to achieve this I need to do things that make me despised by their opposites." - Bill Whittle
Never mind all the mass graves. Where's the nerve gas?
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfire...arlowe/index.html]
New Balance of power -- CONTEXT DAMNIT!
Balance of power was supposed to apply to the continental powers, not to Great Britain. Great Britain always knew that to preserve its hegemony, it must prevent the Continent from uniting. To prevent the Continent from uniting, it was England's strategy to manipulate the European situation so as to always keep opposing blocs in balance there, using the other bloc to attack by land whichever bloc might threaten England by sea, and supporting the weaker of the sides in a land war when necessary. When strong opposing forces are kept in delicate balance, relatively tiny effort is needed to effect control; this leverage effect multiplies a power's influence on a situation far beyond its forces in the field. In the same way, a perfectly balanced telescope weighing tons can be
easily and precisely moved at will by the astronomer's bare hand.

We did the same in the recent Gulf War between Iran and Iraq. Balance of Power was why we left a declawed but otherwise intact Saddam in charge locally in 1991.

World War I was caused by a breakdown in the balance of power -- England's "problem of Europe" then being how to make Germany strong enough to protect itself and France from Russia, yet keep it too weak to threaten Belgium.

In the post-cold-war era, we have decided we are strong enough not to be concerned with efficient use of power. The very extravagance of the resources we expend for very small or even negative gain is itself a form of "shock and awe" that, we feel, so thoroughly convinces our opponents of our reckless self-confidence, that they race to bow and accept our superiority lest we include them in the scope of our largesse.

Giovanni
I'm not a complete idiot -- some parts are missing
     Bill Whittle: Nature abhors a power vacuum. - (marlowe) - (14)
         Define better - (JayMehaffey) - (10)
             In that, the author agrees with our enemies. - (Arkadiy)
             There's no middle ground. That's the point. - (marlowe) - (8)
                 Yes I did - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                     Selective intervention is a means, not an end. - (marlowe) - (3)
                         I would agree Marlow, if - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                             Shame. Look at US history in Germany, Japan, Panama... - (marlowe) - (1)
                                 What? - (JayMehaffey)
                 Balance of Power. History. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Balance of power. Didn't that lead to World War I? - (marlowe) - (1)
                         Balance of power -- CONTEXT DAMNIT! - (GBert)
         So you love America. - (pwhysall) - (2)
             M-tactics - (dmarker) - (1)
                 'D'-for-Demagoguery___as Rush, My Gramma, etc. etc. -NT - (Ashton)

Oh, for the love of cheese.
141 ms