IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Patching the Pipe
Seems like they ought to be able to patch it up.

About a year ago I watched a training film where a crew repaired a 500KV electric transmission line that had been damaged by a vandal's bullet. What made it memorable was that the line was still hot. Nice arcs and whatnot. Great emphasis was placed on making sure you removed all your credit cards, etc because the EMF would scramble their coding. Definitely a task requiring one's full attention.
New Linemen's Rodeo
I did a 12 month college internship at [link|http://www.smud.org/|SMUD], the Sacramento municipal electric utility. The utility yard I spent a lot of time at was also the training area for linemen. The policy at SMUD was that they worked hot: circuits weren't deactivated. This meant that the linemen were aware at all times that they were one false step from Flaming Yon. You didn't cut a circuit, you bridged it. Saw a few training vids on the topic as well.

There are industry meets where linemen from different utilities do their stuff -- linemen's rodeos. Objective is to complete a task in the least time with least mistakes.

Typical linemen's gloves and boots will give pretty good insulation, dry. There's also the good old "ten foot pole" thing and other stuff.

SMUD's safety record for linework was significantly better than PG&E's, who practiced working dead circuits.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
     Alaska Pipeline under fire - (marlowe) - (3)
         Patching the Pipe - (Decco Dave) - (1)
             Linemen's Rodeo - (kmself)
         Re: Alaska Pipeline under fire - (a6l6e6x)

Nobody leaves an Asian restaurant with less than eight pounds of to-go boxes.
38 ms