IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nuclear power plant controls.
Many, many moons ago, a friend had interviewed [link|http://www.foxboro.com/|Foxboro], which at the time did work on the controls for nuclear power plants. He was told that all controls knobs and switches could not and did not in fact do anything directly. The changed state of these controls was sensed and interpreted buy a computer program that would evaluate the appropriateness of the request and act on it if it was reasonable.

For one thing, this prevents someone doing away with himself in a "blaze of glory".
Alex

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." -- last words of Pancho Villa (1877-1923)
New Not too comparable, maybe
Foxboro's seems an appropriate control method; there IS no "steering wheel" to keep you from hitting the ground. Unclear too, of there being no override? of significant matters as say - closed manual valves for the ECC? (Emgcy. Cooling System) and such. I'd very much doubt that there can be No Human Override, given the n! possibly bizarre er physical failures imaginable.

Besides, for the US's determined non-standardization upon the actual design, construction of our many plants: so is each one a necessarily New Thing to derive safety factors about, etc. No savings of scale.. more chance for screwups. Anyway.. the reactor is a lot about physics, nothing about aerodynamics and with few random outside *effects - a whole nother ball o wax, I think.

* like that poor Lufhansa Clerk-pilot watching his plane descend towards the containment dome? with the assurance of the True-Believing Dumb Machine: bizness' perfect replacement for the CIEIO.

Ashton
Informed Selective Luddite
     I did a stupid thing. Opinions sought. - (mmoffitt) - (35)
         You've got time... - (gdaustin) - (4)
             Was hoping for a 737 ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                 Idiot - (deSitter) - (2)
                     You're being cranky. Go to bed. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         He, and likely others are ticked off at me for injudicious.. - (mmoffitt)
         Are you (or they) the nervous type? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             It's a package deal, dunno what my options might be. - (mmoffitt)
         Quit worrying about it. - (bepatient) - (3)
             I think it's a "principle" thing with me. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Point is... - (bepatient) - (1)
                     Thanks. - (mmoffitt)
         Get some numbers - (pwhysall)
         Don't say a thing. Put seat back and snooze... -NT - (jbrabeck) - (15)
             Or drugs - (broomberg) - (14)
                 I'd be more likely to trust him with the stick. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                     But, ignorance is bliss! - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                         That's probably the best advice yet. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                             Congratulations - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                 Thank you. - (mmoffitt)
                             Congratulations to you and Robin on your 20th! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                 Wow, not that is impressive! Congratulations! -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     FWIW, I agree with your rationale implicitly.. - (Ashton) - (5)
                         Sentient LRPD sez____Due to a vast miscalculation, - (Ashton)
                         Nuclear power plant controls. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             Not too comparable, maybe - (Ashton)
                         Does your car have antil-lock brakes? - (drewk) - (1)
                             Re: Does your car have antil-lock brakes? Yes.. but - - (Ashton)
                 My practice is Mai Tai's - (tuberculosis)
         Thanks All! -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Re: I did a stupid thing. Opinions sought. - (deSitter) - (5)
             Its in Flame already...stay on target! -NT - (bepatient) - (3)
                 Yeah, BeeP: wallow in the opportunity; it's so ___Cleansing -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                     ...currently wallowing... -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                         ...slithering - more effective! :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
             Oh, heavens, I'm on your list? Dear me, Dear me. - (mmoffitt)

No. Only those you need.
44 ms