IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How about this?
[link|http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q240/9/82.asp&NoWebContent=1|http://support.micro...sp&NoWebContent=1]

PATCH: Patch_26.exe Fixes Divide by Zero Error on Fast Computers
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft FoxPro for Windows 2.6
Microsoft FoxPro for Windows 2.6a

This article was previously published under Q240982
SUMMARY
PATCH_26.exe is a self-extracting executable file that updates the FoxPro for Windows version 2.6a development environment and run time to stop startup errors that are raised on computers that operate at clock speeds of about 333 MHz and faster.

This article also contains the steps to reproduce the error.

There is a separate patch available for users of international versions of FoxPro for Windows for which there is no localized 2.6a version. See the MORE INFORMATION section of this article for details.
MORE INFORMATION
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

IPatchFP.exe

Patch_26.exe

The Patch_26.exe download contains a patch that can be applied to FoxPro 2.6a for Windows. The IPatchFP.exe download contains a version of the patch that is not version-specific, and can be applied to international versions of FoxPro for Windows for which the 2.6a version is not available. For additional information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to Obtain Microsoft Support Files from Online Services

Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help to prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Steps to Reproduce the Behavior
Run FoxPro for Windows, or a FoxPro for Windows run-time application, on a computer that has a 333MHz (or faster) processor. On some computers, the error occurs at startup each time, while on others, the program might load without error sometimes and produce the error at other times.

NOTE: The problem that is described in this article might also occur with computers that have multiple processors.

When you start FoxPro for Windows or a FoxPro for Windows run-time application on a computer that is running Windows 95 or Windows 98, you receive the following error message:

Foxprow

An error has occurred in your program. To keep working anyway, click Ignore and save your work in a new file. To quit this program, click Close. You will lose information you entered since your last Save.
You can click Ignore or Close. When you click Ignore, FoxPro starts. When you click Close, you receive the following error message:

Foxprow

This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

If the program persists, contact the program vendor.
You can click either Close or Details. When you click Details, you receive the following error message:

FOXPROW causes a divide error in module FOXPROW.EXE at 0001.0000f1c9
NOTE: For a run-time application, the module in this error message is Foxw2600.esl.

On a computer that is running Windows NT, after you start FoxPro for Windows or a FoxPro for Windows run-time application, you receive the following error message:

System Error

Divide by Zero or Overflow Error.
When you click Close, the program to quits..
REFERENCES
--
Chris Altmann
New Re: How about this? - good find but,

I had located this patch and another that relate to Foxpro running on a machine with processor faster than 300Mhz. Problem is though, that I can't find any of the mentioned Foxpro modules inn this all although it contains a Foxpro database.

It looked like the perfect answer until I went looking for the modules ?

Cheers

Doug
)PS thanksfor delving in that deep)
New Re: How about this? - I read it deeper & found the file
In your report on this bug --- it mentions Foxw2600.esl.

The stuff I had found on this was not as detailed as your report. [link|http://users.aol.com/foxproresources/divide.htm|http://users.aol.com...ources/divide.htm]

I have a file called Foxw2500.esl & I believe there is a fix for 2.5 as well based on the patch2x comment.

This may be the breakthrough we needed.

Thanks

Doug
New Bingo - now runs on all WinXX versions !!!
The Patch2x fix did the trick.

I had to determine that we had FPW2.50 and not 2.5a or 2.5b - once that was known the advice is to apply a series of fixes to go to 2.5a & 2.5b if needed as these must be applied before Patch2x. We decided we didn't need 2.5a or 2.5b so applied the patch to module FPW2500.ESL and then started the app & away it ran.

The software in question cost our company $US10,000 in 1998 & it seems the source code may no longer be available. So *not* getting this software running on current Windows devices (we run it on Tablet PCs) was going to cost us dearly.

Am very pleased we got this solved.
Thanks for providing the impetus to pursue the FoxPro Patch

Cheers

Doug Marker

(It seems that the error may be just an Intel & Intel hardware clone timing problem because the software ran without any errors on my 733Mhz Transmeta Notebook - it emulates the Intel instruction set & I was wondering if they had discovered som timing bug in Intel that they were able to fix ???)
Expand Edited by dmarker Aug. 26, 2003, 11:31:34 PM EDT
New Glad I could help :)
--
Chris Altmann
New Re: Glad I could help :)
Chris, please feel free to share the kudos, If you hadn't posted that item there is an excellent chance I would have had to move on to other work & would not have solved it.

The chief engineer was cock-a-hoop when I explained at 11am that my 9am email to him & his manager, saying it wouldn't work had been overturned due to some assistance from friends in the US.

Moments like this make Iwethey the gem it should always be.

Cheers

Doug
     Need help !!! - am trying to run an older Win95 app on XP - (dmarker) - (8)
         WinXP all versions are NT kernel based. - (inthane-chan)
         Check also CPU type and speed . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         How about this? - (altmann) - (5)
             Re: How about this? - good find but, - (dmarker)
             Re: How about this? - I read it deeper & found the file - (dmarker)
             Bingo - now runs on all WinXX versions !!! - (dmarker) - (2)
                 Glad I could help :) -NT - (altmann) - (1)
                     Re: Glad I could help :) - (dmarker)