IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New JBuilder.
Get JBuilder. Plain and simple, straight-up-like.

I've used Visual Café. It's a hog. It's buggy. It's a pain in the ass to work with.

JBuilder, while it has its own issues, is a very nice program. I just upgraded from 4 to 5 here at work. It's a very nice program. Does J2EE, does JSP, does EJB. One of the nicest things about it, IMHO, is that if you switch platforms it goes with you since it's written in Java itself.
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New Ditto
Visual Cafe blows goats.

However, I would step back and question why you would use Java for a GUI in the first place. If your aim is cross-platform compatibility, then fine, I'll buy that. But if it only has to run in Windows, use Delphi.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Use Delphi, or,...
...if you want to use an ANSI/IOS standard language, C++Builder (the skill sets transfer!)
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Likewise, if you only want "cross-platform compatibility"...
...between Win32 and Linux, you could consider using Delphi (for Windows) and Kylix ("Delphi for Linux").

At least here in .fi, they sell 'em bundled (D6 Pro + K Desktop, + a VB-to-OP translator) as "Borland Cross-Platform RAD".

Costs about a kilobuck, though, not just a hekto-.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New I wouldn't
But if it only has to run in Windows, use Delphi.

We've been using it for the past 4 - 6 months or so and the best we can say about it is "umm....it's got a better UI builder than Visual C++"; it's only other saving grace for us is a good COM based Python interface. Delphi looks like it was a really good tool for circa 1996

Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New What's wrong with it?!?
The Freep writes:
[Quoting Scott:]
But if it only has to run in Windows, use Delphi.
We've been using it for the past 4 - 6 months or so and the best we can say about it is "umm....it's got a better UI builder than Visual C++";
So what, exactly, is wrong with the rest of it?

it's only other saving grace for us is a good COM based Python interface.
Oh, I see! So -- the problem is, that *it isn't Python*!

Well, why the heck would anyone *think* it was?!? Or (which is more likely the problem here), why the heck are you trying to use it as if it were? If you want to use Python, why use Delphi at all?

Also, aren't you the guy who uses to heap loads of (well-deserved, per se) scorn on C++ programmers who moan that Smalltalk doesn't work exactly like C++, telling them that they gotta get into the Smalltalk way of thinking? I hope you're not truly so blind you can't see the parallel...

Delphi looks like it was a really good tool for circa 1996[.]
Yeah, actually, it was; it was, then (as now), the very *best* tool around for general Windows programming. And how, exactly -- given that it hasn't stood still, but evolved and acquired loads of new capabilities, since then -- how does that make it any worse now?!?

Like, would it have been better now, if it had been a really *bad* tool "for circa 1996"? (ObCheapShot: If that's the way it works, then maybe there's hope for your beloved Smalltalk some time in the future...)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Tritto. It's quite clean and efficient.
That's her, officer! That's the woman that programmed me for evil!
     Looking for a Great Java GUI Development Tool - (gdaustin) - (13)
         VA-Smalltalk -NT - (Fearless Freep)
         JBuilder. - (Yendor) - (6)
             Ditto - (admin) - (5)
                 Use Delphi, or,... - (jb4)
                 Likewise, if you only want "cross-platform compatibility"... - (CRConrad)
                 I wouldn't - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                     What's wrong with it?!? - (CRConrad)
                 Tritto. It's quite clean and efficient. -NT - (tseliot)
         JBuilder or what about... - (slugbug) - (2)
             Forte - (gdaustin) - (1)
                 Re: Forte - (slugbug)
         Re: WebGain & Visual Cafe - same company - (dmarker2) - (1)
             Re: WebGain & Visual Cafe - same company - (slugbug)