IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Drat, haven't seen Snowbirds in >20 years
I saw them at Oshkosh a long time ago, and they were great. They weren't as flashy as the Blue Angels (and certainly not like Frecce Tricolori!), but I thought they were better than the Thunderbirds.

I don't know about Saint Patty, but she is definitely one of the best.

Hope the weather holds for you.

Brian Bronson
New Re: Patty.
I sent her an email last year asking for an autographed picture for my daughter (a glider student and huge fan) for her birthday. I offered to pay whatever was customary. I got a one line response: "We'll take care of it." On my daughter's birthday, she got several posters - all signed w/Happy Birthday, some patches, pics of her airplane, a promotional video w/an interview and another video of Patty flying. And, no charge.

I wrote to thank her and she said to make sure to bring her by to say hello in Dayton. First class lady in my book.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Wow; ok, that's a Saint
New My favorite female pilot
..is Jeana Yeager (no relation to Chuck), the crewmate of Dick Rutan on the "Voyager" around-the-world flight.

She helped build the airplane, then had the courage to get in it. On launch it scraped the winglets off the wing tips, weighted down by fuel. Then live in a mailing tube for 9 days, averaging 180 mph, dodging any kind of turbulence that might tear the wings off the craft, mostly over water (but ditching out of the question) other than a brief stint over Africa and the Isthmus. That flight was almost as dangerous as going to the Moon.

The engines had to work for 9 days. As they were approaching Edwards, a fuel flow problem caused the main engine to shut down. The secondary engine would not start (normal flight configuration has one engine feathered). They lost altitude steadily. Finally the secondary engine started up.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter July 18, 2003, 05:44:47 AM EDT
New Snowbirds
Saw 'em last year. Cut short by rain. They only did two passes. The controllers did pass all radio commucications through the loudspeakers though. Fascinating to hear the back and forth.
-----------------------------------------
[link|http://www.talion.com/questionw.html|?W]
Where were you in 72?
New Seen 'em lots
Try to get yourself to a full show. The planes are quite ancient, but they do have more thrust than mass...
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     Anybody going to the Dayton Airshow? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
         Drat, haven't seen Snowbirds in >20 years - (bbronson) - (5)
             Re: Patty. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Wow; ok, that's a Saint -NT - (bbronson)
                 My favorite female pilot - (deSitter)
             Snowbirds - (Silverlock) - (1)
                 Seen 'em lots - (jake123)
         Nope, but my sister-in-law is running it - (drewk)

Loopholes and fine print are there for a reason, and it's not to make you happy.
43 ms