IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Printers?
Looking for an 11x17 native PostScript laser printer for prepress proofing and general office printing.

The last one we had was a Xerox Documprint N2025. Cost $1,700. We REALLY liked it. Until someone stuffed an envelope filled with paper through the feeder.

SMOKIN'!

$400 just for diagnosis, possible $1,600 for repairs.

Not made any more.

Any recomendations?
New Like my Lexmark t522n
It's not a large-format box, but I've been very happy with it. It was substantially cheaper than a comparable HP when I got it, but the prices may be closer now. I think it has excellent print quality and the Win drivers have a lot of nice options.

Hmm. It looks like the [link|http://www.lexmark.com/US/products/tech_specs/0,1231,MTk3Nnwx,00.html|W820n] might be reasonable for you - up to 45 ppm, 11x17, PS3, 156 PS fonts, support for a zillion OSes, etc., etc. I can't comment on it though. They've got cheaper 11x17 boxes too, like the [link|http://www.lexmark.com/US/products/overview/0,1224,MzM2M3wx,00.html|W812 ]for $1200 list.

HTH. GL!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Native postscript is a requirement
Not emulation.

I'm leaning towards a Xerox Phaser 5400N, [link|http://www.office.xerox.com/perl-bin/product.pl?product=5400|http://www.office.xe...t.pl?product=5400]
New Curious - Is there a real difference?
I mean - I know there's some license fee to Adobe for the real stuff - is there an important difference that only Real PS can provide? Every PS job I've thrown at mine has looked great.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yup
But only for a prepress environment.

PS emulation is great if the final product is prinitng on the printer.
But in our case we generate all the work locally that then goes
to a real print shop. It is very important that we print locally
EXACTLY what the print shop will print, no variation allowed.

PS emulation is always a SLIGHT bit off, in sizing, scaling, placement,
etc. So a perfectly aligned graphic will print screwed up even though
it looked great locally.
New Here's one, a Ricoh.
[link|http://www.tigerdirect.com/images/itemdetails/printer/ricoh/ricoh-ap2610-specs.pdf|Rocoh AP2610/AP2610] -- 26 ppm, can be had for about $700.

No personal experience with it.
Alex

The tendency to turn human judgements into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous
forces in the world.
-- Georgia Harkness in "Conflicts in Religious Thought" (1929)
New Hmm
Serious bargain basement pricing.
Requires a 2nd look.
Thanks.
New Re: Here's one, a Ricoh.
Hmmm. My boss has just advised me that it's "Christmas in July" (typical--my little skunkworks has no formal budget within the organization, and Xmas has historically come at short notice every five years or so) and, because our old large-format PostScript printer, a GCC SelectPress from 1994, is just about dead, and since for color output we've been surreptitiously using another department's Xerox Phaser, which would make them very unhappy if they ever discovered this, we're looking at a Ricoh CL7000 -- I'm scheduled to visit a sales rep this afternoon to see one in action. The money has to be spent this week, so I'm assembling a modest list of other goodies, but this one's the most important. I'll report on it performance anon assuming I actually land the thing...

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Re: Printers?
HP has an interesting wide-carriage inkjet, the 1220C.
-drl
New Inkjets are evil
Huge cost associated with the ink.
Razor / blade approach to marketing.
New Not to mention HP is evil
...and seems to have a vested interest in making PostScript incompatible with their printers.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Re: Not to mention HP is evil
"PostScript incompatible"? Noy my trusty LaserJet 6MP. It does quite well with any PostScript I throw its way.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Thanks for the anecdote

I'm gonna go build my own theme park! With Blackjack! And hookers! In fact, forget the park!
New Re: Printers?
I like the Xerox Document Centres - the DC230 was wonderful 4 years ago.
qts
     Printers? - (broomberg) - (13)
         Like my Lexmark t522n - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Native postscript is a requirement - (broomberg) - (2)
                 Curious - Is there a real difference? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Yup - (broomberg)
         Here's one, a Ricoh. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Hmm - (broomberg)
             Re: Here's one, a Ricoh. - (rcareaga)
         Re: Printers? - (deSitter) - (4)
             Inkjets are evil - (broomberg) - (3)
                 Not to mention HP is evil - (tseliot) - (2)
                     Re: Not to mention HP is evil - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         Thanks for the anecdote -NT - (FuManChu)
         Re: Printers? - (qstephens)

Bad command or filename.
59 ms