IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New notorious Marxist Warren Buffett on dividends
This well-known "fellow traveler" dares to dis our Feuhrer's initiative to boost American productivity by lifting the "double taxation" of dividends! Just look at the transparent Leninist agenda revealed in his "arguments":
The taxes I pay to the federal government, including the payroll tax that is paid for me by my employer, Berkshire Hathaway, are roughly the same proportion of my income -- about 30 percent -- as that paid by the receptionist in our office. My case is not atypical -- my earnings, like those of many rich people, are a mix of capital gains and ordinary income -- nor is it affected by tax shelters (I've never used any). As it works out, I pay a somewhat higher rate for my combination of salary, investment and capital gain income than our receptionist does. But she pays a far higher portion of her income in payroll taxes than I do.

Now the Senate says that dividends should be tax-free to recipients. Suppose this measure goes through and the directors of Berkshire Hathaway (which does not now pay a dividend) therefore decide to pay $1 billion in dividends next year. Owning 31 percent of Berkshire, I would receive $310 million in additional income, owe not another dime in federal tax, and see my tax rate plunge to 3 percent.

And our receptionist? She'd still be paying about 30 percent, which means she would be contributing about 10 times the proportion of her income that I would to such government pursuits as fighting terrorism, waging wars and supporting the elderly. Let me repeat the point: Her overall federal tax rate would be 10 times what my rate would be.

Administration officials say that the $310 million suddenly added to my wallet would stimulate the economy because I would invest it and thereby create jobs. But they conveniently forget that if Berkshire kept the money, it would invest that same amount, creating jobs as well.

The Senate's plan invites corporations -- indeed, virtually commands them -- to contort their behavior in a major way. Were the plan to be enacted, shareholders would logically respond by asking the corporations they own to pay no more dividends in 2003, when they would be partially taxed, but instead to pay the skipped amounts in 2004, when they'd be tax-free. Similarly, in 2006, the last year of the plan, companies should pay double their normal dividend and then avoid dividends altogether in 2007.

Overall, it's hard to conceive of anything sillier than the schedule the Senate has laid out. Indeed, the first President Bush had a name for such activities: "voodoo economics." The manipulation of enactment and sunset dates of tax changes is Enron-style accounting, and a Congress that has recently demanded honest corporate numbers should now look hard at its own practices.
For the full, sickening dose of commie disinformation see

[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13113-2003May19.html|http://www.washingto...13-2003May19.html]

I am of course sickened that this avowed agent of the international communist conspiracy should be permitted to spew this contemptible class warfare in the only non-Moonie-owned daily newspaper still published in Byzantium-on-the-Potomac, and I trust that appropriate regulations will shortly be promulgated under Partriot II to ensure that I am not offended a second time.

indignantly,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New Yes, but Warren Buffet is the 2nd richest man in the world.
[link|http://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/warrenbuffet.asp|Warren Buffet].
His wealth fluctuates with the performance of the market, but for the last few years he has been reported to be worth over $30 Billion, making him the 2nd richest man in the world.
Let's just say he's several sigmas from the mean! :) Comparing anyone but his Billiness to Warren Buffet will give strange results. He would still pay plenty in taxes.

He is right that the peculiar tax rules for dividends being proposed will make for some convoluted tax avoiding acts. Tax lawyers and accountants will make hay in the process and none of them will be unemployed.
Alex

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life." -- Eric Hoffer
New Could it be...
...that we're seing a small wisp of a ghost of that oh-so-rare phenomenon of Amerika these days...the "honest businessman"?

(I can't even say it without my left brain screaming: "Oxymoron! Oxymoron!")
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
New But the real question is
is it screaming "oxYmoron" or oxymoRON"?

That said, I really gotta wonder what your gov is smoking down there... thought it might have been BC Bud/Quebec Hydro, but I'm leaning more towards that white stuff that comes from that jungle green continent to the south instead of the green stuff coming from the Great White North.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
Expand Edited by jake123 May 21, 2003, 09:41:03 AM EDT
New They're smoking that most potent of drugs
Money. And Power.

In seemingly interminable amounts.

(And BTW, if you'll recall my sig from about 2-and-a-half years ago: "He's not my President". Still true now....)
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
New nah. Must have been a typo.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New You can't do that in English, or any other language.
Put "Marxist" and "Warren Buffet" together like that. There are rules concerning language, you know. Best not abuse them.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Dunno.. there's 'compassionate conservative', after all :-\ufffd
     notorious Marxist Warren Buffett on dividends - (rcareaga) - (7)
         Yes, but Warren Buffet is the 2nd richest man in the world. - (a6l6e6x)
         Could it be... - (jb4) - (3)
             But the real question is - (jake123) - (1)
                 They're smoking that most potent of drugs - (jb4)
             nah. Must have been a typo. -NT - (cwbrenn)
         You can't do that in English, or any other language. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Dunno.. there's 'compassionate conservative', after all :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)

Hm. It all seems to cancel out. I’m back to not caring.
43 ms