IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I couldn't disagree more
Redesigning WORKING code into different WORKING code (also known as refactoring) is terrible.
Starting with 4000 lines of brittle, inefficient, non-modular code and ending up with 1700 lines of efficient, flexible code that does the same thing, and can be easily re-used in other locations is not terrible. And yes, I've done that on code that someone else had written. (I'm sure I'd love to disavow some of the code I wrote when I first started out, so this isn't just bragging.)

Sure, if you get a comprehensive spec from day one and it never changes, odds are the code will be fairly clean on then first shot. But if, as often does "occur in nature", the coding starts before the end-user has a clear idea of what they want, and the spec changes throughout the development process, there will be sections that ought to be re-written.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Heh.
I just emailed Cringely about the issue... which is why your response is first. ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Heh indeed! Thank you both
Cringe is OK, but every once in a while he does screw the pooch.
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
New I've had to
I'm sure I'd love to disavow some of the code I wrote when I first started out, so this isn't just bragging

go back and modify some of my own code, a year or two later. Remember all those "comments" that "we'll never need"? I've scratched my head over many a things I coded in the past. "Now what the h..l was I thinking?"
[link|mailto:jbrabeck@attbi.com|Joe]
     Re-rewriting .Net code? - (johnu) - (11)
         Wouldn't be the first time. And Cringely on rewriting. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             I couldn't disagree more - (drewk) - (3)
                 Heh. - (admin) - (1)
                     Heh indeed! Thank you both - (jb4)
                 I've had to - (jbrabeck)
             And he's wrong about that. - (admin) - (1)
                 I quite agree. - (static)
             So what does *this* mean? - (tjsinclair)
             Just received an answer from Bob. - (admin)
         Re: Re-rewriting .Net code? - (johnu) - (1)
             It could be a lower level thing - (altmann)

I let her go after 4 hours, told her why, so she blamed me personally for ruining this country.
97 ms