IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Carly's cunning consumable plan"
[link|http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9220|HP inkjet cartridges have built-in expiry dates].
PRINTER GIANT HP has built in time limits for its inkjet printer cartridges which means machines may stop working even if the consumable has 75% ink let to go.

A corporate user who has an HP BusinessJet 2200C, an expensive model with separate ink catridges and printer heads for black and CYM, said his printer stopped working earlier this week with the message: "Cyan Ink Cartridge has expired".

And that has led to the discovery that the only fix for this cunning consumables plan is to either set systems to dates in the past or, you guessed it, go change the cartridge or buy a new one.
Yep, we'll let you know when we want you to buy another cartridge.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Ed Foster had a thing on that
in his Gripe Line columns... can't remember which one, but it's fairly recent. And I'm working on a series of strips lampooning it.

I get most of my best stuff from Ed.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Expiration dates is like
the camping showers that always seem to require another coin just after you're all lathered up or have just used your last coin...

Anyone interested in writing a little print .dll which will change the system date before and after printing?
[link|mailto:jbrabeck@attbi.com|Joe]
New RE: Showers
yeah - like they have in Washington state everywhere I've gone!

See Thane!

"Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.
Contestants in a suicidal race."
    - Synchronicity II - The Police
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:08:52 AM EDT
New Re: "Carly's cunning consumable plan"
I just about spewed sandwich all over the screen when I read the last line...

But, he added, after he reported this to his boss, the firm has decided to buy Lexmark printers in the future.

That's like curing cancer by killing the patient.
After 9/11, Bush made two statements:
1. "Terrorists hate America because America is a land of freedom and opportunity."
2. "We intend to attack the root causes of terrorism."

Sounds like everything is going according to plan.
New Yep, HP is learning from Lexmark.
[link|http://news.com.com/2100-1023-979791.html|Lexmark invokes DMCA in toner suit].
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New But, HP is not quite as smart as they think.
[link|http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9250|Expiry on HP printer cartridges hacked] for some HP printers anyway.
MAYBE THIS is a one off and won't work for everyone, but it might be worth a try. Recently my black cartridge on my old trusty hp 720C ran out. I was expecting it to, it had been in there for three years. On wandering round Akihabara I found some reduced because "the sell by date had expired" cartridges". Being cheap I bought a couple. When I got home and tried them out they wouldn't work, but being the inquisitive type (in addition to being cheap) I spent a little while ripping my hair out figuring what was wrong. After about an hour and a half I started to physically compare the old and new cartridge ..... and ......the copper pin layout on the new one was different. There was an extra pin! Scratched the pin off and voila. Sneaky hp.

Beebo
Alex

New Noted! I Love It:__nother slime loses corner office.
New Nope
Lexmark printers always work - and can be drained dry. I've drained both my work Z53 and my home Z53 printer several times - never a glitch - and the Linux driver really works just as well as the Windows driver.

Not only that, but they are fast and accurate, and produce beautiful output.

Severe reprimand for mentioning Lexmark in the same breath as the lost and forlorn HP.

-drl
New Geez, you're a glutton for punishment, aren't ya?
Lexmark has, at least around here, a reputation for such sucky cheapness that they are explicitly banned from being purchased. We have three - all failed within a year. The printers, not the cartridges. The cartridges run out of ink insanely fast, and are also insanely expensive, AND have that stupid DMCA-enforced lockout chip in them.

Maybe you're lucky. But I've also noticed you enjoy Windows products... ;)

[image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]
After 9/11, Bush made two statements:
1. "Terrorists hate America because America is a land of freedom and opportunity."
2. "We intend to attack the root causes of terrorism."

Sounds like everything is going according to plan.
New Re: Geez, you're a glutton for punishment, aren't ya?
We have the same experience with Epson and HP. I have had outstanding success with my Lexmark printers.

I don't "enjoy" Windows products - there are no alternatives if one wants real applications.
-drl
New "My ink has expired.." he said, cryptographically.
Buy Murican! - and be ripped-off with alacrity, smugness and a deep sense of Biz-religio-Righteousness!

"We want to save you from the heartbreak of psoriasis. By removing your skin. For the War Effort on Terror, of course.." [Tell Us How We're Doing: 800-666-FUCK]

(We no longer have even the fleeting thought.. emerge..
Have you Senator, at long last - no shame at all??)

Now then.. speakingofNationBuilding: if we can combine the vulture-Capitalist with the Iraqi history of internecine endless lethal squabbling ... we may well create the antidote At Home too:

An auto-expiring (ergo self-cleansing) coprophageous strain of Capitalism:
Become Shit and eat Yourself.
Cannabis Cannibalism for Fun & Profit; the SARS-strain, spread by smoke & mirrors.

(Merely parachute Carly & Donald Trump into Baghdad, with valises full of VC NDAs - the first-ever.. *registered* intentional Vector for a pandemic.)

Ashton
Who trusts that HP's days shall be numbered.. and counted-down in Permanent Blue-black ink jets

..of ricocheting blots on their already shit-stained escutcheon.
New I see Epson and Canon not doing this.
Which leads me to wonder why HP are trying to alienate what remains of their printer market...

I know my Canon ink cartridges can't do that: there are no contacts on them! Though I imagine the print head could do...

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

"Carly's cunning consumable plan" - (a6l6e6x) - (12)
         Ed Foster had a thing on that - (cwbrenn) - (2)
             Expiration dates is like - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                 RE: Showers - (tuberculosis)
         Re: "Carly's cunning consumable plan" - (inthane-chan) - (6)
             Yep, HP is learning from Lexmark. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                 But, HP is not quite as smart as they think. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Noted! I Love It:__nother slime loses corner office. -NT - (Ashton)
             Nope - (deSitter) - (2)
                 Geez, you're a glutton for punishment, aren't ya? - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                     Re: Geez, you're a glutton for punishment, aren't ya? - (deSitter)
         "My ink has expired.." he said, cryptographically. - (Ashton)
         I see Epson and Canon not doing this. - (static)

Shiny buttons are human catnip.
95 ms