IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Misinterpretation
The one thing I will grant to Gates is that he understood the need for simple multitasking. He really did have a sort of vision of a desktop computer being useful by being able to do more than one thing at the same time. It's strange that Windows has become so incoherent. We are deceived in a way by the power of modern hardware. The early PC was more primitive than you can possibly imagine, unless you were there. DOS was all it could really handle. Even so, you would make useful software for it. The real irony is that Gates is killing the very thing he did so much to make essential.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter April 24, 2003, 12:23:23 AM EDT
New Ever see Geoworks?
GEOS - graphical user environment that ran on a Commedore 64.

Geoworks - Multitasking GUI that ran on an 8086.
After 9/11, Bush made two statements:
1. "Terrorists hate America because America is a land of freedom and opportunity."
2. "We intend to attack the root causes of terrorism."

Sounds like everything is going according to plan.
New Or, as one comentator said at the time . .
. . "This is what Windows 3.1 should have been". Microsoft applied full monopoly leverage (under Non Disclosure Agreements, of course), so just about nobody wrote software for it out of fear of being black listed.

Current versions of the GeoWorks suites are sold as NewDeal Office, BreadBox Ensemble (available bundled with DRDOS 7.03 for $129) and NewDeal School Suite. They are still well thought of by users and reviewers, and also run in a DOS window under OS/2 (and probably Linux) and in DOS emulation on the Mac.

GeoWorks itself, having failed to achieve a major position in mobile devices, is trying to liquidate but wasn't able to get enough stockholders to vote (April 2003). The DOS products were spun off long ago, so they will survive GeoWorks itself.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Geoworks was great...
...AOL used to use it, too.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New How about Windows 3.0?
As I recall, Windows 3.0 had an 8086/8088 mode. In the college lab I used to work in, we had 640K IBM PC systems with CGA running Windows 3.0 over a Novell Netware network. Windows 3.0 was loaded off a network drive, the PC and XT systems did not have a hard drive but a floppy boot disk to get on the Netware network. We also had bus mice on the PC and XT systems. It was I think 640x200 mode with 2 colors with the CGA driver.

Of course when DOS came out, 640K was not very common. So Windows 3.0, GEOS/GeoWorks, etc wouldn't have been possible without extra memory added.

"Bill gates cannot guarantee Windows, so how are you going to guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton to the Emperor of the Scarrans on [link|http://www.farscape.com|FarScape]
New How about a warm Ex-Lax milkshake with a mouse port?
     Microsoft fragments Windows - (orion) - (14)
         As with e. coli - there are many many different strains. -NT - (Ashton) - (4)
             There is another similarity - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                 Bwahahaha! Did you make that up? :D -NT - (tseliot) - (1)
                     Yes - glad you liked it :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                 Wag-Ed *hates* people like you! -NT - (Ashton)
         So, umm..er....gee... Did BillG(e) LIE during the trial? - (jb4) - (1)
             Same way as the rest of the country. - (inthane-chan)
         Re: Microsoft fragments Windows - (linuxuser) - (6)
             Misinterpretation - (deSitter) - (5)
                 Ever see Geoworks? - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                     Or, as one comentator said at the time . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Geoworks was great... - (imric)
                     How about Windows 3.0? - (orion) - (1)
                         How about a warm Ex-Lax milkshake with a mouse port? -NT - (Ashton)

The haddock hits me with a sucker punch. I catch him with a left hook. He eels over. It was a fluke, but there he was, lying on the deck... flat as a mackerel. Kelpless.
70 ms