IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: You know, this might simply be normal behaviour.
I'll let John read all that, some of it was "greek" to me...

But I appreciate the input. One question though, what would cause the computer to sometimes boot up to the 382 and other times boot up to lower than that, when 382 is what it really supposed to be free after the OS is running? It's intermittent, but at times it boots up with about 50M not there.

Perplexing, huh?

Nightowl >8#
"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
New You may have some rogue processes in startup.
[link|http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm|Here] is nice page with a listing of processes and explanations for what you might find in your task list.

Clinton, Clinton, Clinton. Is that all you guys ever think about? Do you see him hiding around every corner? Does he haunt your dreams? I dunno, if I was you I'd probably WANT to forget about the great William Jefferson Clinton. Unlike the current president, he managed peace, prosperity, balanced budgets, lower poverty and child poverty rates, 21 million new jobs, 50,000 new teachers, 100,000 new cops, the lowest crime rate in 25 years, greater worker protections, the highest home ownership rate in history, the protection of Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security... Mind you, he did also have a penis, the evil bastard.
--[link|http://www.democraticunderground.com/|Democratic Underground]
New ATTN: late post here. Bad memory ???
You may have actual memory failure, not a 'leak'; depends on *when* you are looking at memory size -- at boot or, only after Win starts.

But I appreciate the input. One question though, what would cause the computer to sometimes boot up to the 382 and other times boot up to lower than that, when 382 is what it really supposed to be free after the OS is running? It's intermittent, but at times it boots up with about 50M not there.
Do you mean: while DOS is starting and you see the BIOS info passing by and memory test: you sometimes see *less* than your installed memory?

(If your BIOS has a 'silent boot' feature and it is turned ON: you won't see this early bookkeeping stuff)

If you are now regularly checking only Windows' version of how much memory you have, and sometimes - immediately after Windows starts - you see less RAM: I think I'd reboot a few times and see if you can catch a lower reading on the memtest which occurs before DOS is loaded. Point:

In a notebook, recently - the initial memtest indeed showed "40" MB for what should have been 80. In this case though, Windows recognized the full 80. What the memtest was *really* reflecting was: a 'stuck-bit' at a particular address. This was proven by diags. New memory fixed all the BSOD and other symptoms.

It may be worth your while to observe a series of boots, looking only at the turn-on memtest. Hit f-8 to avoid waiting for Doze to load, so you can test again. If you see a similar symptom to above: power down, remove mem and clean edges with 97% (ie conc.) Isopropyl alcohol and reinsert. Obey static-electricity drill, natch.

That might cure it, but you'd have to again try several boots. It's clear that Windows will recognize memory which the memtest has 'rejected'. (Bad memory in bottom 640K should.. halt the boot, freeze display - at least for some kinds of failure)

HTH,

Ashton

PS re the query above, about WHEN all this started: could it have been just after you bought more memory ?? If so, well.. time to run diagnostics on your motherboard and make it "loop" for continual memory test. That would be better than the above tool-free tests.
     AUUUUUUGH! the original problem seems to be back! - (Nightowl) - (46)
         Process of elimination. - (admin) - (2)
             Re: Process of elimination. - (Nightowl)
             Questions about the Process of elimination. (new thread) - (Nightowl)
         Consider running Spybot Search and Destroy - (Another Scott)
         Re: AUUUUUUGH! the original problem seems to be back! - (Nightowl) - (35)
             Re: AUUUUUUGH! the original problem seems to be back! - (deSitter) - (28)
                 leave wife and establish own ID - (boxley) - (25)
                     Memory Issues ( was Re: leave wife and establish own ID) - (Nightowl) - (23)
                         sigh if you log out of winders and he logs in new login time -NT - (boxley) - (20)
                             Re: sigh if you log out of winders and he logs... - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                 Are you using winblow 95 or above - (boxley)
                                 FSCKING IDIOT! - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Chill dude. - (Silverlock)
                                 It's not so bad. - (Another Scott)
                                 Don't worry about it, Brenda. - (admin) - (1)
                                     Re: Don't worry about it, Brenda. - (Nightowl)
                             Has everybody just abandoned good judgment? - (deSitter) - (12)
                                 Re: Has everybody just abandoned good judgment? - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                     I don't believe you, get it? -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         Put up or shut up. - (admin)
                                     Re: Has everybody just abandoned good judgment? - (Nightowl)
                                 naw, convinced they are the lost tribe of Orion - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Re: naw, convinced they are the lost tribe of Orion - (Nightowl)
                                 Believe me, even I couldn't have invented a story like this - (orion) - (5)
                                     Re: Believe me, even I couldn't have invented a story... - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                         Re: Believe me, even I couldn't have invented a story... - (orion)
                                     Re: Believe me, even I couldn't have invented a story - (deSitter) - (2)
                                         Then I apologize - (orion) - (1)
                                             Re: Then I apologize - (Nightowl)
                         Can you create a profile in Opera? - (orion) - (1)
                             Re: Can you create a profile in Opera? - (Nightowl)
                     Ha! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                 ROSS: Cut. It. Out. (new thread) - (admin)
                 Speaking of ignorance.. - (ben_tilly)
             Spybot program. - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 Spybots are notoriously bad. - (inthane-chan)
             You know, this might simply be normal behaviour. - (jake123) - (3)
                 Re: You know, this might simply be normal behaviour. - (Nightowl) - (2)
                     You may have some rogue processes in startup. - (Silverlock)
                     ATTN: late post here. Bad memory ??? - (Ashton)
         You shouldn't have a loss of memory like that - (orion) - (5)
             Re: You shouldn't have a loss of memory like that - (Nightowl) - (4)
                 Re: You shouldn't have a loss of memory like that - (Nightowl) - (3)
                     Update on Andrei (was Re: You shouldn't have a...) - (Nightowl) - (2)
                         atdem? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             I figured out what Atdem is! ( was Re: atdem?) - (Nightowl)

The OldManFu MoJo you got is impressive.
66 ms