IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Its more than that.
The biggest problem with that - is the stress it puts on the *phone infrastructure* - which expects you might be in range of 2-3 towers. Get above the ground,a nd suddenly... lots of towers.

But the problem isn't that they know it will/won't cause a problem, its that they don't KNOW that it WON'T.

Think about it - do you want everybody chatting on cell phones, if it *might* screw something up?

FAA regulations for certificating things are incredibly rigorous. Its why planes cost so damn much. There's also a profit motive, with how much the airline's phone system makes, but trust me, there's lots of very real concern about things that might happen.

Look at the Osprey... They didn't test a couple things there, and.....

Addison
New Its not an FAA regulation it is an airline regulation
There is no FAA reg against cell phones. Boeing put an incredible amount of cell traffic on a jet in a hanger, didnt twitch anything.
thanx,
bill
why did god give us a talleywhacker and a trigger finger if he didnt want us to use them?
Randy Wayne White
New Yes, it is. (An FAA reg)
[link|http://ecfrback.access.gpo.gov/otcgi/cfr/otfilter.cgi?DB=1&ACTION=View&QUERY=91.21&RGN=BSEC&OP=and&QUERY=14&RGN=BTI&QUERY=1349&RGN=BSECCT&SUBSET=SUBSET&FROM=1&ITEM=1|FAA FAR (Federal Aviation Regulation Part 91.25]

\ufffd 91.21 Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:

(1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or

(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to --

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used. In the case of other aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other operator of the aircraft.

In other words - unless the specific cell phone has been tested, and proven not to cause a problem, and certified, by each airline, its illegal to use.

Addison
New pilots call not the FAA per 5c
heh thought I would have to admit publicly I was wrong and bookmark that for future reference.
thanx,
bill
why did god give us a talleywhacker and a trigger finger if he didnt want us to use them?
Randy Wayne White
New Read Closer
It's the Pilot's call in planes OTHER THAN air carrier certificated operations.

In commercial air travel with passengers it is illegal.
-----
Steve
New upon re read it is the operators call not FAA
In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that OPERATOR of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used.
Sheesh the things I do to avoid being wrong. :)
thanx,
bill
Randy Wayne White
New Why that one?
Electric shavers!?!?!?!?!

How did that make the list? If you've got a better safe than sorry approach, surely whoever is riding the plane can put off shaving for the duration of the flight.
That no man should scruple, or hesitate a moment to use arms in defense of so valuable a blessing [as freedom], on which all the good and evil of life depends, is clearly my opinion; yet arms ... should be the last resource. - George Washington
New Mwybe I'm misreading it but...
...according to paragraph 5:
(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used. [emphasis mine]

You, being a newly registered pilot and all (Congrats, BTW!) might understand this gobbledegook better than I; however, doesn't "operator of the aircraft" mean United, AA, Delta, et al?
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Also
That paragraph only comes into effect if the operator (which I too read to be the carrier) specifically makes the assessment. If the carrier does not make that exclusion, the FAA rule is actively enforceable.
~~~)-Steven----
New No, that's right
You, being a newly registered pilot and all (Congrats, BTW!) might understand this gobbledegook better than I; however, doesn't "operator of the aircraft" mean United, AA, Delta, et al?

Thanks.

Yes, it means the airlines themselves (we won't get into fractionals and charter and stuff).

So they have to certify that your cell phone won't disrupt anything.

In all conditions, phases of flight (or which ones its restricted to), etc.

Addison
     now can we use cell phones on planes since it doesnt affect - (boxley) - (12)
         Thought of this, too - (jb4)
         Its more than that. - (addison) - (9)
             Its not an FAA regulation it is an airline regulation - (boxley) - (8)
                 Yes, it is. (An FAA reg) - (addison) - (7)
                     pilots call not the FAA per 5c - (boxley) - (2)
                         Read Closer - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                             upon re read it is the operators call not FAA - (boxley)
                     Why that one? - (wharris2)
                     Mwybe I'm misreading it but... - (jb4) - (2)
                         Also - (Steven A S)
                         No, that's right - (addison)
         Bzzt - (gdaustin)

Hey, it was good enough for Terry Pratchett.
236 ms