IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Teaching 2 year olds to run a computer
There is an EXCELLENT CD out there (no longer marketed by Fisher Price, but available on eBay), called Fisher Price Toddler, featuring the Little People.

Perfectly designed for curious little minds and hands from age 2-4.

The mouse pointer is about 10 times larger than a normal pointer, and easy to maneuver. At Level 1, it doesn't matter where the kid clicks on the screen, the computer program does the same thing (except for one small area of the screen where the "back" button is).

There are about 10 modules, one for learning about the telephone (when you click you answer the phone.

One for learning shapes (click on the mouse to help my rabbit jump from dot to dot).

One has kids songs (row your boat, ba ba black sheep, itsy bitsy spider).

One has who is hiding IN/BEHIND the box?

One has the ABCs?

One has a clown which blows up balloons and teaches them to count. (Can you help me blow up 5 balloons?)

There is "Animals on Parade", where each animal parades across the screen and clicking the mouse makes the animal's sound.

As computer programs go, it's kind of low tech now, but the person who wrote the "instructional" part of the program was a freaakking genius!

My oldest son (now 7), who does his own email, Internet searches for Yu-Gi-Oh! cards used the program to learn to use the computer.

My youngest son ( 2 1/2 ) is rapidly figuring out how to use the mouse. He will have level 2 mastered by the time he is three. He already controls the mouse enough to pick his module and use it and finds the small space in the corner to return back to the main screen. He's 2 1/2!

For some reason, my daughter (6) isn't as interested, but I did manage to get her to play Math Blaster a few days ago.

Glen Austin
New I hope one caveat is followed er religiously -
That such 'play' should constitute a very small portion of any day, during this period when the fledgling consciousness is trying to learn about its container and develop the container's capabilities with air, fire, water and - gravity.

ie a 2 yo couch potato - how would that differ from Chinese foot-binding, in its long-term effects?

Ashton
- and especially: if used as a 'baby-sitter'! Believe we have found out what happened when TV-Sell-Toys shows were elected nanny...
New Actually - He plays about 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a week...
Most of the time, he's Bob the Builder, playing with his sister, getting roughed up by his big brother.

Or in Mom's or Dad's lap. Chatting 100 mph, and constantly active.

Definitely NOT a couch potato, save his computer and TV time.

New extra credit
You said "definitely" - well done! No doubt spelling "lose" holds little challenge. Ah, it's a hard life.

But then you said the English, tubercular "save". Save that. Lost all your credit in one fell croup.

Note: I'm declaring verbal war on all of you. This place will soon rock. Ban me now, or suffer for not doing it.

-drl
New Teaching Shakespeare to a Texan
Sorry, I have a strange vernacular because I was a high achieving Texan, in "deep East Texas".

Use of the language is strange here. Especially because I live in Dallas/Ft. Worth, but I drive to "deep East Texas".

When the girls start saying ya'll, and use your name in two syllables (when It's a one syllable name like John or Glen), then you've found "deep East Texas".

All the men are cheating pigs, the women drive pickups as well as the men, and only the "city leaders" drive cars less than 5 years old (and they are Buicks and Cadillacs).

All the town leaders meet at the local "Dairy Queen" (Actually, Herschel's Drive In in our town) at 6am each morning to discuss important issues of the day (like what Noah did with the waste products from all the animals).

There's always some "deep thinking" in "deep East Texas". Remember, this is the place where Bo Pilgrim won't sell you a "fat yeller chiken".

I'm amazed that our company can even exist in this town.

"Wonder what they do ther, Billy Bob?" "Don't know, Jim" "Somthin' 'bout compooters, I think"... They got them fancy kinds, you know like the city folks have.

Glen Austin
You haven't seen MacBeth until you've seen it done by high school kids in East Texas...

New MY FUCKIN A HE GOT IT!!!!
Oh you have restored my nighted faith!

Ban me now, or suffer for not doing it.

You made my millenium so far :)
-drl
New Oi.
Keep the profanity OUT of the subject.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New The difference is that Chinese foot-binding is less harmful.
bcnu,
Mikem

Osama bin Laden's brother could fly in US airspace 9/15/01, but I had to wait for FBI and CIA background checks, 'nuff said?
New Jump Start series
We use the Jump Start series, Jump Start Baby, Jump Start Toddler, Jump Start Kindergarden. Sort of the same sort of things as you've described. We got other ones as well, like one with a train in it "Who spilled the juice in the caboose" song but I cannot remember the title. He doesn't spend a lot of time on the computer, just 15 or 30 minutes and not every day. We plays when he wants to play, I don't force him.

I also got a "Test Drive Offroad 2" for $5USD at CompUSA during one of their sales. He seems to like driving the 4X4 trucks. :)

[link|http://pub75.ezboard.com/bantiiwethey|
New and improved, Chicken Delvits!]
     Microsoft getting 'em while they're tots - (lincoln) - (13)
         Heheheh... - (admin)
         I guess we're supposed to assume... - (jb4)
         My son has been using Windows 98 since he was 2 - (orion) - (10)
             Child abuse! -NT - (rcareaga)
             Teaching 2 year olds to run a computer - (gdaustin) - (8)
                 I hope one caveat is followed er religiously - - (Ashton) - (6)
                     Actually - He plays about 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a week... - (gdaustin) - (4)
                         extra credit - (deSitter) - (3)
                             Teaching Shakespeare to a Texan - (gdaustin) - (2)
                                 MY FUCKIN A HE GOT IT!!!! - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Oi. - (pwhysall)
                     The difference is that Chinese foot-binding is less harmful. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 Jump Start series - (orion)

Better than a kick to the head with a frozen mukluk.
48 ms