IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New C'mon Christian...
What's "so fucking hard" is the ability for an implementation to render a correct error message for this (and several other related) scenarios. gcc is the worst. Micros~1 is only slightly better. Borland C++ Builder is quite a bit better, and will actually get the message more-or-less the way I described it (YMMV). Never having tried the Intel compiler, I don't know how it handles it, but from Scott's description, it appears to be in gcc-land as far as this is concerned.

4 different implementations. 4 different handlings of the issue. Same language. And you claim that it's the language's fault?!? C'mon Christian...who you crappin?
jb4
"They lead. They don't manage. The carrot always wins over the stick. Ask your horse. You can lead your horse to water, but you can't manage him to drink."
Richard Kerr, United Technologies Corporation, 1990
New Not that big a stretch...
The C++ language is too complex for compiler writers to get right with any amount of certainty... ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New So, it's a great language, if your definition...
...of "great" includes "impossible to implement".

Yeah, OK, I reckon I could agree to that, if you insist.

To the rest of us, that's called "sucks".

This issue is a Norwegian Blue.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New NO, that's NOT what I said.
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=79320|What I said was:]
C++ ain't the greatest thing ever evented in the name of computer science, but it ain't the devil's spawn either.

I stand by that statement, not any that you might try to place in my mouth.
jb4
"They lead. They don't manage. The carrot always wins over the stick. Ask your horse. You can lead your horse to water, but you can't manage him to drink."
New Yeah, its the language
The language is how many years old and nobody can write a good compiler for it?

The grammar is a nightmare. Many language "features" come out of fantasy land. If the compiler writers are having trouble agreeing on what something means - what are the chances an author in the language is going to be able to express himself in it?

I think that it's extraordinarily important that we in computer science keep fun in computing. When it started out, it was an awful lot of fun. Of course, the paying customer got shafted every now and then, and after a while we began to take their complaints seriously. We began to feel as if we really were responsible for the successful, error-free perfect use of these machines. I don't think we are. I think we're responsible for stretching them, setting them off in new directions, and keeping fun in the house. I hope the field of computer science never loses its sense of fun. Above all, I hope we don't become missionaries. Don't feel as if you're Bible salesmen. The world has too many of those already. What you know about computing other people will learn. Don't feel as if the key to successful computing is only in your hands. What's in your hands, I think and hope, is intelligence: the ability to see the machine as more than when you were first led up to it, that you can make it more.

--Alan Perlis
New Re: Yeah, its the language
The language is how many years old and nobody can write a good compiler for it?

The grammar is a nightmare. Many language "features" come out of fantasy land. If the compiler writers are having trouble agreeing on what something means - what are the chances an author in the language is going to be able to express himself in it?

Are you describing C++ or APL? (or Visual Basic, for that matter?)
jb4
New Yes.
     More C++ BS: - (admin) - (21)
         OK, the problem here is the implementation, not the language - (jb4) - (10)
             Oh, come the heck on! Yes, it IS the language! - (CRConrad) - (7)
                 C'mon Christian... - (jb4) - (6)
                     Not that big a stretch... - (admin)
                     So, it's a great language, if your definition... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         NO, that's NOT what I said. - (jb4)
                     Yeah, its the language - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                         Re: Yeah, its the language - (jb4) - (1)
                             Yes. -NT - (inthane-chan)
             Advocacy aside: - (admin) - (1)
                 My understanding is: - (jb4)
         Update: test code: try the fun on YOUR c++ compiler! - (admin) - (5)
             Borland C++ Builder 6 Pro compiles w/o error - (jb4) - (3)
                 Nifty for Windows users, eh? -NT - (admin) - (2)
                     In Linux-land, try Kylix... - (jb4) - (1)
                         I'll take a look then. -NT - (admin)
             GCC on Jaguar (3.1) works okay -NT - (tjsinclair)
         Update: what I did to workaround this - (admin) - (3)
             LUCK!!! ;-) -NT - (jb4)
             OT: gcc 2.95 native STL is very bad - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                 I'm not using native 2.95 STL. - (admin)

* tilly wonders what the upper limit on the length of a /topic is.
* tilly suspects that we are about to find out.
250 ms