As to the necessity of "backing up and restoring" - I'd liken that to the point made by the character in To Play the King, that magnificent satire from your alma mater, acted by the inimitable (Sir!) Ian Richardson (also sent to us heathens in the Colonies!):

When the ex-personal aide of the PM goes to retrieve a missive labelled ~"Eyes Only" Secret, notices it is handed her in a transparent cover (and she remarks on that) - the custodian observes, we avert our eyes!

Ditto re the above process. I don't see that.. noticing how many rights *are* given away through inattention, while it was occurring - is about "muddying the waters". But I concur re the law in UK about such matters; dunno if every US state has such laws on the books. Yet. But even where on the books: successfully suing that employer is hardly a trivial process. Ask.. (was it bconnors at D*ll?) for one kind of test case re Corp power to fabricate/misuse data?

Still, undeniably good as is your advice re content: even the doggerel 'ought' to be protected sans a court order stating, probable cause to suspect misuse of Corp. material. In a sane world.

A.

PS - I really don't see many things being as simple as, "everything you touch and use" definitively covering the myriad matters (some inseparably personal) -- as occur on any business premises. Needn't be a solicitor to create a large list of 'exceptions'.