IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No, Montezuma was killed by his own
Montezuma more or less surrendered to Cortez because he saw him as Quetzalcoatl, and the troops didn't. Cortez paraded him as a prisoner in an attempt to get the troops to join him in surrender, but the troops stoned him instead. The injuries were such that the Spanish expected him to survive, but apparently he had lost the will to live.

The empire had made many, many enemies, so Cortez had a good many local allies when he attacked Tenochtitlan.

Cortez was very, very good at his job. Partly because he was much less of an sadistic asshole than your average Conquistador (not a major compliment). Montezuma was not a very good Emperor, and the empire had grown soft from being on top too long.

Still, it was rather a major upset if you look at it in strictly secular terms. On the other hand, when a pissed-off major deity shows up to destroy his people, all bets are off. And Cortez (though he certainly didn't think so) was the Plumed Serpent, returning as predicted (to the day) in his cloud-ship to destroy the empire for indulging in human sacrifice.

White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New Whoops!
I'm kinda rusty on my Central American history - my mother hasn't had an opportunity to pound it into my skull for quite some time. ^_^
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
     Good discussion on first job hunting at K5. - (Another Scott) - (13)
         Re: Good discussion on first job hunting at K5. - (broomberg) - (12)
             I Loved This - (deSitter) - (11)
                 A good read, even for nonprogrammers and.. pointers! - (Ashton)
                 Re: I Loved This - (wharris2) - (7)
                     As to zero.. - (Ashton) - (6)
                         wheel principle - (boxley) - (5)
                             I think you're overstating it - (wharris2) - (4)
                                 Four wheels, two empires, and one conqueror. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                                     No, Montezuma was killed by his own - (mhuber) - (1)
                                         Whoops! - (inthane-chan)
                                     Without the Olmecs and Toltecs - (boxley)
                 Sorry, not looking at this point -msg -NT - (broomberg)
                 Yep - reverse a string - (tuberculosis)

Yeah, baby!
81 ms