IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Doesn't sound like it's Java, per se.
Sounds like issues with Java on Solaris:
One of the problems, he claimed, is that while Java has a lot of benefits compared to C and C++, its implementation on Solaris makes it difficult to deliver reliable applications.

Sun engineers think that Solaris gets in the way of implementing many software applications. The problem is widely recognised internally.
The memory footprint on Solaris machines is rather large, it appears.

Now, with regards to this:
One problem is that every Java program relies on the installed Java Runtime Environment, and when packages are issued every four or five months, they destroy existing packages and can't be back-graded to the prior install.
I can only say that I've seen issues going the other way (ie. writing for 1.3 when 1.2.2 is all that's installed), but never going forward in releases. TMMV, apparently. Typically what works best is targetting a release (1.2.2, or 1.3.1, for example) and sticking with it until some compelling addition balances the ROI towards upgrading.

On the memory issues in general: it's quite easy to write a Java program that uses a lot of memory. It's not that hard to make sure it doesn't, however.

Meta: Poorly written article, IMO, the way it jumps around. The Inquirer doesn't hold a candle to The Register. They tend to post more sensationalistic stuff at the expense of credibility and quality, IMO.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New blows with the flows
"The memory footprint on Solaris machines is rather large, it appears."

The stupid engineers are thinking like engineers again. It is probably to Sun's benefit for Java to be bloated on Sun boxes. Sun is mostly a hardware company. Bloated software == hardware sales.

So, those naive engineers should shut up and be glad they still have a job. Sun does not make much money on Java.

The biggest lesson that I have yet to fully learn: "Go with the flow, even if the flow is stupid."
--

We have only 2 things to worry about: That
things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
     Sun's engineers don't like Java. - (Another Scott) - (10)
         Bad link? - (admin) - (1)
             Yup. Correct now. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Doesn't sound like it's Java, per se. - (admin) - (2)
             blows with the flows - (tablizer)
             We ended up shipping entire Java dev environment, - (Arkadiy)
         More on Java JRE on Solaris from TheInq. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             TogetherJ used 64M tops on my Linux box - (admin) - (2)
                 Depends on what you use - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     That last line applies to a lot of languages - (boxley)
         Memo is two years old, claims Sun - (admin)

root#_
126 ms