IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There is NOTHING wrong with pointers!
Damn, Scott, you just hit a hot button with me.
The Byzantine pointer usage,[...]

Any "Byzantine pointer usage" is not the fault of the language, dammit! It is, purely, simply, and solely the fault of the programmer!!! who doesn't know how, when, or why to use pointers.

Don't go blaming the language for the faults of the practitioners!

There is no doubt that you are "[...]not exactly stupid when it comes to learning new languages, either.". I'm using a perfect example of that right now. But for you to make a remark like that is so unlike you so as to make me believe that your login has been copped by someone else. There is nothing wrong with pointers. There is nothing wrong with pointers in C, nor in C++, nor in Objective-C, nor in assembly, nor in any other computer language that allows them. IMnsHO, computer languages that don't allow them are brain damaged, as there are some things you just can't do without them. Nowadays, there are languages that try to make you believe that there are no pointers in the language; they try to "hide" pointers from you, making them with names like "references". These are similarly brain-damaged, for the simple reason that they make you play hide-and-seek with the address of an object. I wouldn't want to write an OS in such a language.

If you want to decry the (ab)users of the tool, fine. I'll join you! But don't decry the tool itself.

jb4
"They lead. They don't manage. The carrot always wins over the stick. Ask your horse. You can lead your horse to water, but you can't manage him to drink."
Richard Kerr, United Technologies Corporation, 1990
New Re: There is NOTHING wrong with pointers! (new thread)
Created as new thread #79256 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=79256|Re: There is NOTHING wrong with pointers!]
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Thing is, some tools are more abuse-prone than others.
[Please redirect any replies to this to "Programming", as I should have done in the first place. I just forgot where we were at... See now, Scott, why we need to be able to redirect on edit? :^]

And C/C++ is definitely one of the more abuse-prone ones, when it comes to pointers. Sure, the Byzantine pointer usage can be said to be the fault of the practitioners... But why, then, is such an overwhelming majority of C/C++ code just such a Byzantine mess? Are you saying the language(s) attract (at least comparatively) moronic coders?

No, I think there's something wrong in the language itself; something that positively encourages such over- (or ab-) use of pointers. Perhaps, as the flip side to your "languages that don't allow them are brain damaged" coin, C/C++ is/are at least equally brain damaged language(s) because they *don't* allow you to do a lot of stuff *without* pointers -- everybody going, "that's easy, just use pointers!" when the question comes up -- that you really *ought to* be able to do without them?

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
Expand Edited by CRConrad Feb. 4, 2003, 01:59:50 PM EST
New You just said it !!!!

>>
Don't go blaming the language for the faults of the practitioners!
<<

This point you made says it all in regard to C++. Good practitioners of C++ are gold, BUT, they are few & far between - That is the point.

Doug M
     SUN: Java is almost extinct (sp bury it aready) - (boxley) - (29)
         I think the real issue here is ... - (dmarker) - (28)
             ObMeToo - (tseliot)
             Re: I think the real issue here is ... - (deSitter) - (22)
                 C'mon - did MSBasic interpreter get dropped ??? - (dmarker) - (21)
                     Re: C'mon - did MSBasic interpreter get dropped ??? - (deSitter) - (20)
                         If that were true Java would've never taken off !!! - (dmarker) - (19)
                             Re: If that were true Java would've never taken off !!! - (deSitter) - (10)
                                 Using 256M per thread... - (admin) - (9)
                                     I must be from outta town... - (jb4) - (6)
                                         Re: I must be from outta town... - (admin) - (5)
                                             There is NOTHING wrong with pointers! - (jb4) - (3)
                                                 Re: There is NOTHING wrong with pointers! (new thread) - (admin)
                                                 Thing is, some tools are more abuse-prone than others. - (CRConrad)
                                                 You just said it !!!! - (dmarker)
                                             Saved me the trouble - ditto - to JB4 - (dmarker)
                                     Re: Using 256M per thread... - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         "Are there any good ones?" - (admin)
                             Also - (deSitter) - (4)
                                 Bull**** - (dmarker) - (1)
                                     Sure I Have - (deSitter)
                                 Your definition of a decent C programmer - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                     Well my definition of a good C++ programmer is a - (boxley)
                             Hey I'm Special! - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                 GC lib? - (jb4) - (1)
                                     Garbage Collection. -NT - (admin)
             Will it do? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                 Picture - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     Switched URLs - Thanks! -NT - (tuberculosis)
                     So YOU'RE the one who fixed it! - (jb4)

Holy freakin' cow with a lemonade stand.
416 ms