IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Out of context
bloomberg wrote:

Look at the line above what you quoted!!!

Huh? Um, OK, if you insist. But I suspect you're under the impression that I was disputing what you said. I wasn't doing that.

The sentences immediately preceding the quoted sentence were as follows: "They are businesses, NOT consumers. They use tools to make money. They need to judge the value of the tool relative to the value of the income assoicated with it."

OK, those sentences parse correctly, and seem to logically connect and make sense. But I'm unclear on what your current point about them is.

I am under the impression RH AS is purely pay, but my admin claims that is only if you want the support. It may be the tweaked kernel is downloadable but AS "as a total package" is not.

Well, if you guys own a copy, then you could settle the factual question about proprietary rights through inspection, as opposed to speculating or going by inference and likelihoods. Perhaps you wouldn't mind doing that. As I said, nothing on RH's Web site really properly addresses the question, except in suggesting (without ever quite nailing down) that the recurring fees are for service and support.

Everything I've seen suggests very strongly that 100% of RHAS is lawfully available and redistributable, and that RH offers all of it for public ftp in SRPM format. What I've seen also suggests that nothing prevents people compiling those RPMs and redistributing the binary results. Whether anything on the RHAS boxed-set binary CDs is somehow encumbered (e.g., compilation copyright a la OpenBSD?) nonetheless is an open question of fact.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
Expand Edited by rickmoen Feb. 3, 2003, 01:37:58 AM EST
New Missed it again
RH says that anything other than
RH AS is not for business. Hell, it's FREE on the web.

I was referring to the "consumer" versions in a silly obscure way. "anything other". The whole discussion was triggered by RH withdrawing support for the Non-AS versions. And since I still believed you could not download AS, I didn't catch the confusing possibility that someone would think I could be referring to AS.

But yes, we essentially agree. I just don't like to be misquoted, even when the misquote makes me look smarter than I am.
New Now hang on a minit thar buddy...
I just don't like to be misquoted, even when the misquote makes me look smarter than I am.
And Who just do YOU think you are misleading people like that... we all know ewe's dumberer than granite!!!

"It's a joke, son, a joke..."

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]   [link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@kQMsmc74S0Tw3KHQiRQmDem0gAIPAgM/edcurry/1//|ED'S GHOST SPEAKS!]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberstrategy-draft.html|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at safety checkpoints.
New Sorry, this thread is dead
On screen 2, destined for oblivion.
     The push to Advanced Server begins - (Andrew Grygus) - (117)
         Shrug. - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Not a solution for all . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 It's probably 99% - (kmself) - (3)
                     Of course it'll run fine on other distros . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         I have run into the same issues on support contracts - (boxley)
                         It's a free market - (kmself)
         Re: The push to Advanced Server begins - (rickmoen) - (84)
             Re: The push to Advanced Server begins - (Andrew Grygus) - (83)
                 Right on, Andrew. - (tseliot) - (22)
                     Oh great, here come the cheerleaders - (rickmoen) - (21)
                         come on Rick have you ever, never met a client - (boxley) - (4)
                             Re: come on Rick have you ever, never met a client - (rickmoen) - (3)
                                 Thanks, my point is customers will not stray from - (boxley) - (2)
                                     Re: Thanks, my point is customers will not stray from - (rickmoen) - (1)
                                         Sorry I think we are badly miscommunicating, forget it -NT - (boxley)
                         You're in an alternate reality - (tonytib) - (7)
                             Re: You're in an alternate reality - (rickmoen) - (3)
                                 No, you keep missing the point - (tonytib) - (1)
                                     Re: No, you keep missing the point - (rickmoen)
                                 How to intentionally miss a point (new thread) - (drewk)
                             Re: You're in an alternate reality - (deSitter) - (2)
                                 Vertical market vs horizontal - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     Nice description. - (static)
                         Oh great, here comes the one-man-band. - (tseliot) - (7)
                             Re: Oh great, here comes the one-man-band. - (rickmoen) - (6)
                                 Will, should, doesn't matter. - (tseliot) - (5)
                                     Re: Will, should, doesn't matter. - (rickmoen) - (4)
                                         Small gain, indeed. - (tseliot) - (3)
                                             Re: Small gain, indeed. - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                                 Apology: - (tseliot) - (1)
                                                     Think nothing of it. - (rickmoen)
                 Re: The push to Advanced Server begins - (deSitter) - (59)
                     Software drive OS selection - (tuberculosis) - (58)
                         Total agreement - (tonytib) - (56)
                             Re: Total agreement - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                 Apple is backing away from Java - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                     Re: Apple is backing away from Java - (rickmoen)
                             The Software Desert - (Andrew Grygus) - (52)
                                 Re: The Software Desert - (rickmoen) - (51)
                                     It's people like you that do more harm than good - (tonytib) - (2)
                                         Re: It's people like you that do more harm than good - (rickmoen) - (1)
                                             Nope, you're a troll...or an idiot (can't read, can't answer -NT - (tonytib)
                                     LDAP? - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                         Give it up, he hasn't learned to read yet -NT - (tonytib)
                                         Well I suppose you could always use Radius for CM - (boxley)
                                     Well, i's pretty evident . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (43)
                                         Re: Well, i's pretty evident . . - (rickmoen) - (42)
                                             Lemme second an opinion... - (bepatient) - (33)
                                                 Re: Lemme second an opinion... - (rickmoen) - (32)
                                                     Generally it is safe to presume . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
                                                         Re: Generally it is safe to presume . . . - (rickmoen) - (17)
                                                             It's the height of arrogance . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (16)
                                                                 Re: It's the height of arrogance . . - (rickmoen) - (15)
                                                                     Your ability to descend into absurdity is truly amazing! - (Andrew Grygus) - (14)
                                                                         Ow.... - (folkert) - (13)
                                                                             Re: Ow.... - (rickmoen) - (12)
                                                                                 Simple Question - (deSitter) - (11)
                                                                                     Remember to include - (imric)
                                                                                     ps. Of course - (imric)
                                                                                     call Andrew and get his -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                         OK - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                             Sorry, Desit asked for replacement of Great Plains - (boxley)
                                                                                     AppGen - (folkert) - (5)
                                                                                         Re: AppGen - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                                                             Yes... it does work. - (folkert)
                                                                                             Give the Gryg a call I am sure he would be willing to answer - (boxley)
                                                                                         Appgen Custom Suite . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                                             Yes... all three... - (folkert)
                                                     Damn, now ACT! is an OS??? - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                         Re: Damn, now ACT! is an OS??? - (rickmoen) - (11)
                                                             Figured as much. - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                 Re: Figured as much. - (rickmoen) - (9)
                                                                     You didn't? - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                         With apologies... - (admin) - (3)
                                                                             Ahh, the good ole days - (boxley)
                                                                             Oh dear... - (bepatient)
                                                                             I have a bad feeling about that... - (static)
                                                                         Re: You didn't? - (rickmoen) - (3)
                                                                             Maybe my universal translator is broken. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                 Re: Maybe my universal translator is broken. - (rickmoen) - (1)
                                                                                     whatever -NT - (bepatient)
                                             Sorry buddy - can't stick with Windows . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                                                 AppGen... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                     My Appgen experience is with . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                         Yeah... that's the one... - (folkert)
                                                 Re: Sorry buddy - can't stick with Windows . . - (rickmoen)
                                                 Re: Sorry buddy - can't stick with Windows . . - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                     Appgen - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                         Thanks... I could not have said it better... - (folkert)
                                     Did Andrew ask what you used? (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                         As to capitalism.. - (deSitter)
         The push to Advanced Workstation begins - (folkert) - (9)
             Yup, looks like Red Hat is responding to the outcry. - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                 Re: Yup, looks like Red Hat is responding to the outcry. - (rickmoen) - (7)
                     come on squeek, there is a perfectly good flame area - (boxley) - (6)
                         Re: come on squeek, there is a perfectly good flame area - (rickmoen) - (5)
                             My dear squeek - (boxley)
                             Stoop - or just low all the time? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                 Re: Stoop - or just low all the time? - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                     Boy you're a slow learner - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                         Re: Boy you're a slow learner - (rickmoen)
         My 2 cents - (broomberg) - (15)
             That's why monopoly is so easy. - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                 Disagree - (broomberg) - (7)
                     No, you cannot make a choice and move on. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Not worthy of a response - (broomberg)
                     I don't buy your arguement here Broom... - (folkert) - (3)
                         Yes you do - (broomberg) - (2)
                             What I mean by tweaking... - (folkert) - (1)
                                 See, we DO agree - (broomberg)
                     pragmatic vs logical decision - (boxley)
             Re: My 2 cents - (rickmoen) - (5)
                 Out of context - (broomberg) - (4)
                     Re: Out of context - (rickmoen) - (3)
                         Missed it again - (broomberg) - (2)
                             Now hang on a minit thar buddy... - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Sorry, this thread is dead - (broomberg)