IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Installing apps for "all users" in win2000
Trying to build some new images here to roll out to 15/20 users soon. One specific app I am installing (logged in with admin rights) does not offer the option to install it for "all users". When finished I want anyone with a valid login to be able to run the app with *only* regular user rights. Any tools out there to force a app installed to a specific user profile to be migrated to the "all users" profile?
...rare is the dollar of corporate profits that bears a tax burden heavier than the burden on an employee's wages.
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/opinion/columns/kinsleymichael/|Michael Kinsley]
New Re: Installing apps for "all users" in win2000
Did you install from the Installer? (Run the setup exe from Control Panel/AddRemove...)

As far as rights, it's a non-issue because Windows doesn't really have a user context. Just copy everything from the personal groups to the "All users" corresponding area and set the file permissions on the lnks.
-drl
New Never mind
It was an idiosynchrosy of the offending app. Requires a special startup switch. NOT included in the shipped documentation, thank you very much. Had to call the company's tech support. Gratifyingly prompt resolution BTW.

If you have a need for multiple OSes running concurrently under a base Windows system, I recommend Connectix Virtual PC.
...rare is the dollar of corporate profits that bears a tax burden heavier than the burden on an employee's wages.
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/opinion/columns/kinsleymichael/|Michael Kinsley]
New How does Virtual PC compare to VMWare?
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New No direct knowledge
Sorry, the recommendation was based on the tech response. I will be trying it out pretty soon and see if I can get a comparison worked out. I'll let you know.
New One warning on that solution:
Occasionally, some idjit will stick all their registry info in HKeyCurrentUser instead of HKeyLocalMachine - and you'll experience Breakage when somebody else attempts to use the app.

Best way around this is to track changes in the registry using one of several thousand tools availible on the 'net, then stick the changes in HKEY_USERS\\.DEFAULT
Any deity worthy of a graven image can cobble up a working universe complete with fake fossils in under a week - hey, if you're not omnipotent, there's no real point in being a god. But to start with a big ball of elementary particles and end up with the duckbill platypus without constant twiddling requires a degree of subtlety and the ability to Think Things Through: exactly the qualities I'm looking for when I'm shopping for a Supreme Being.
     Installing apps for "all users" in win2000 - (Silverlock) - (5)
         Re: Installing apps for "all users" in win2000 - (deSitter) - (4)
             Never mind - (Silverlock) - (2)
                 How does Virtual PC compare to VMWare? -NT - (admin) - (1)
                     No direct knowledge - (Silverlock)
             One warning on that solution: - (inthane-chan)

ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!!

BUT EMACS WILL ENHANCE THEM.
57 ms