IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I reinvented the long datatype this weekend.
I'll let you guess the 4GL I used which hid enough of the real details about Longs that I had to write it myself. Hint: it's not auditory, it's ____. And it's not advanced, it's _____.

Ugh. I just want to do 32-bit addition!!! How hard can that be!?!?! (Yes, you might also guess this was all for an implementation of HMAC-MD5).

At least now I have a class which'll flex up to 2 billion or so decimal places. :)

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New ?
This is the kind of pointless pissing about Windows that makes me want to puke.

VB is not a langauge for extended precision math - so don't fucking use it. Write a DLL in cygwin and stop bitching.
-drl
New Since when is 32 bits "extended precision"?

I think that it's extraordinarily important that we in computer science keep fun in computing. When it started out, it was an awful lot of fun. Of course, the paying customer got shafted every now and then, and after a while we began to take their complaints seriously. We began to feel as if we really were responsible for the successful, error-free perfect use of these machines. I don't think we are. I think we're responsible for stretching them, setting them off in new directions, and keeping fun in the house. I hope the field of computer science never loses its sense of fun. Above all, I hope we don't become missionaries. Don't feel as if you're Bible salesmen. The world has too many of those already. What you know about computing other people will learn. Don't feel as if the key to successful computing is only in your hands. What's in your hands, I think and hope, is intelligence: the ability to see the machine as more than when you were first led up to it, that you can make it more.

--Alan Perlis
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:35:18 AM EDT
New eh?
I would simply use a large precision C++ library to get the overloaded operators. Criminy, this was a programming exercise in a FORTRAN class more than 20 years ago.

Here:

[link|http://www.mathtools.net/C++/Libraries/|http://www.mathtools.net/C++/Libraries/]
-drl
New Oh, STFU, you bloody sycophant.
Da Sitter...
This is the kind of pointless pissing about Windows that makes me want to puke.
...desperately tries to be non-conformist, just for the sake of being non-conformist -- probably the same reason why he once used to rail *against* Windows.

VB is not a langauge for extended precision math -
Oh, bullcrap! To refresh your memory, let's quote Bob:
"I just want to do 32-bit addition!!!"
So, like ADDITION is advanced fucking "math"? And, what fifteen? years after the release of the 386, 32 bits is all that much of an "extended" precision?!?

Just shut the fuck up for a while -- a month or two -- Ross, until the lithium some doctor is hopefully prescribing for you right now has begun to work. As it is, you're too obviously frothing at the mouth.

- so don't fucking use it. Write a DLL in cygwin and stop bitching.
If you're going to use gcc anyway, then why the fuck write a DLL -- I'm sure if he were free to choose, Brewski *wouldn't* be using VB.

But as long as he has to, it not being able to simply fucking ADD a couple of fucking ordinary 32v-bit NUMBERS is incontrovertible proof that it DOES suck.

And nothing you can say -- how ever much you rant and rave -- can change that.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Re: Oh, STFU, you bloody sycophant.
Noone in his sane right mind would use VB for numerical work! There are plenty of already-written libraries in every conceivable format (probably even in VB).
-drl
New Classic oversolution.
My solution: write something that works in a single weekend with the tools I have, that doesn't contain even the slightest hint of breaking the installed base. By 2:00 AM Monday morning.

Your solution: use (even learn!) another development environment and language (or two), and get it to run on the webserver, increasing maintenance costs every step of the way. It might be done in February.

I prefer my solution. Run with yours if you like. Alternately, write the DLL for me in cygwin; I've never done anything remotely like that. Or stop bitching.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Re: Classic oversolution.
Wow, so hard:

make

Hmm.

The Bretheren fall over each other bashing Windows, and then abuse it.
-drl
     I reinvented the long datatype this weekend. - (tseliot) - (7)
         ? - (deSitter) - (6)
             Since when is 32 bits "extended precision"? -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 eh? - (deSitter)
             Oh, STFU, you bloody sycophant. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Re: Oh, STFU, you bloody sycophant. - (deSitter)
             Classic oversolution. - (tseliot) - (1)
                 Re: Classic oversolution. - (deSitter)

Rooms were made for carpets, towers made for spires. Ships were made for cannonade to fire off from inside them.
284 ms