See, it's convenient for all those tawdry reasons. And like Mickey D: it's all homogeneously tasteless! No Surprises there, ever. (Kids don't complain when it's slathered with peanut butter - what have they got to compare with?)

Then too, slicing - immediately exposes ~40X the surface area to oxygen and all those other thingies in the air. To keep That effect from rotting things, drying too fast, curling.. ya gots to add these Mmmmmm preservatives (and the aeration to make the mix light and fluffy).

Still, there are real bakeries using real flour and none of that crap - even here. (Though the Supermarket 'bakeries' massively-produce their stuff natch, and manage to make even the uncut loaf taste about like the processed stuff). But then we also have the Japanese transistorized bake-at-home on computer-timer Machines: put in good stuff and - some of those I've tasted are damn good, even!

Ashton
"Wonder Bread" represented the nadir of Murican Bizness Enterprise doing its normal thing: texture of sponge rubber, squishy as a snowflake and guaranteed to have all the nutritious ingredients milled out so's to be Rilly White. Don't think I've seen that brand in years.. but then I don't usually even glance in that department.