IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Woah - sheet music - I haven't seen that stuff in years...
I used to play on the Albuquerque bar circuit.

Top 40 you have to learn off the radio. The sheet music is 1) always simplified and 2) comes out months after the tune has peaked if it comes out at all.

Standard answer to question "can you sight read" was "why - somebody write something down"?

Actually I tried to learn to read several times. But my ears are so good that as soon as I've heard it I just play it - bypassing the painful mental act of visual decoding and translation.

I don't suppose I'll ever learn...(sigh).
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
New Playing by ear
Playing by ear gives you at least one thing the sheet music cannot: The feel of the song.

While I can read sheet music (for some values of read), I do much better when I've got a copy of the song to listen to because I can get more of feel for the groove of the song than is possible using the sheet music alone.
-----
Steve
New ObAol MeToo (tm)
I always had (and still have) trouble sight-reading because I play by ear. Back in the days when I was a kiddy and still having piano lessons, when I given a new song I go and program it into my TI 99/4a (the speed at which I could type in a CALL SOUND statement...) so I could figure out what it sounds like.

Once I started doing that it was heaps easier to learn the songs I had to play. Not at all helpful WRT my learning how to sight-read, though...
John. Busy lad.
New Re: ObAol MeToo (tm)
Do you mean "sight read" or "read music"? I can read piano music and more or less hear it - but I can't "sight read" as I understand it for a damn.
-drl
New I can read music, I'm just really slow at it.
John. Busy lad.
New That's really interesting.
Because I have an ear for the feel of music, but when playing, I still prefer to play from chord charts. OTOH, melody lines I can play at speed from manuscript, though hearing it first is Very Helpful. :-)

Then too, I've played from a chord chart cold (in a church band) and the song leader suspected but couldn't be sure that I hadn't played that song before.

Wade.

Microsoft are clearly boiling the frogs.

Expand Edited by static Jan. 4, 2003, 04:41:59 AM EST
New Speed-reader here
Though most musicians would look at drum or percussion music and lose their minds. If you're talking percussion (not counting marimba and other keyboard-like instruments) the notes will generally be all on one line. Or rather each line is a completely different instrument. Often each instrument will have a different-shaped note head.

Then there's the stuff they give the guy playing the drum set in a pop/jazz/rock etc. band. It's frequently so over-written it's nearly unplayable. I usually just asked for the lead sheet (for standards, the kind with a melody and chord progression) or a copy of the first trumpet part. Basically give me the melody line and let me figure out what to do with it.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New You're a drummer? Cool!
-drl
New I use chord charts a lot
I make chord charts from sheet music all the time. I hate trying to turn pages in the midst of a song. I try to memorize as much as I can, but we do so many different songs, and a different set every week.
-----
Steve
New Same here.
I can't play for shit from music. I end up memorizing the song more or less before I can play it well.

I can play melodies by ear after hearing them once, if I'm paying attention.

My son is learning to sight read quite well, thankfully. It's a useful skill to have in addition to playing by ear.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Todd, Steve, guys - just a well-meaning tip:
This kind of thing is exactly what the "As New Topic in" check-box is for.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New CRC, Just a Well Meaning Tip..
"As New Topic" is annoying as hell and more or less ruins the flow of a forum, unless (ab)used as a flame retardant. Who cares if side issues come up? When you are having a beer with your buddies, do you move to a new table when the conversation changes?
-drl
New What's annoying as Hell is pompous know-it-alls, and...
...the fact that I apparently missed checking "As New Topic in" on my previous posting.

Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Bar table load times aren't affected by size of past chat
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New That's the legitimate use
Somehow it seemed more civilized to say "let's move to here".
-drl
New Naah, you're missing the REAL use:
Seamlessly "moving" the discussion to "tables" where people who might be *very interested* are more likely to be "sitting": What about all the people here who might have a burning inteerest in music-sheet-reading, but never wander into the Programming forum? T'would have been nice to *them* to dump this in Open, or the Water Cooler, or something (Entertainment, perhaps?).

Especially since you *don't* have the hassle, here, of everybody having to physically get up, bring their beers (and other assorted beverages) with them, notifying the waitress of the move if they're running a tab, seeing if there's room at the other "table" to squeeze down their butts, etc, etc.

But, fuck, anyone *else's* convenience but *yours* isn't something you care all that much about, is it?

New Re: Naah, you're missing the REAL use:
Just stating an impression, CRC. No biggie. It's wonderful work.
-drl
New OK, that last point is one we can agree on, at least! :-)
New If I had any idea this would be so hot
I would have started a new topic.

Who knew?
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
New Well meaning tip
Don't run with scissors. ;^)

Like Todd said woulda, prolly shoulda, but dinna.
-----
Steve
New Long as you knew you "prolly shoulda", that's all I wanted.
     A relational definition of OOP - (tablizer) - (62)
         It makes sense to me but also - (boxley)
         Pretty much correct - (tuberculosis) - (58)
             re: Pretty much correct - (tablizer) - (57)
                 The difference. - (static) - (4)
                     Re: The difference - (tablizer) - (3)
                         Okay, I'll try again. - (static) - (2)
                             re: Okay, I'll try again. - (tablizer) - (1)
                                 Go troll elsewhere. (new thread) - (static)
                 Its whats in the dictionaries that is interesting - (tuberculosis) - (41)
                     Re: Its whats in the dictionaries that is interesting - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Its very similar - (tuberculosis)
                     marrying data and behavior - (tablizer) - (38)
                         Re: marrying data and behavior - (tuberculosis) - (37)
                             Re: marrying data and behavior - (tablizer) - (36)
                                 Got it - (tuberculosis) - (35)
                                     you are not weighing the whole kitten kabootal - (tablizer) - (34)
                                         Kitten Kabootal?? Is that some stripper you know? - (deSitter) - (2)
                                             Don't I wish :-) -NT - (tablizer)
                                             I know her! great smile and a grinning kabootal! -NT - (boxley)
                                         Sure I am - but you're not - (tuberculosis) - (30)
                                             Wow! If this woun't get through, nothing can. - (Arkadiy)
                                             LISP - Lists + Relational - (tablizer) - (28)
                                                 Gets you Smalltalk - (tuberculosis) - (26)
                                                     Thanks! 1 topic down, Googolplex-1 to go. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (24)
                                                         For Bryce, this is pretty much the only topic he discusses - (tuberculosis) - (23)
                                                             That is not true - (tablizer) - (22)
                                                                 Not to mention sheet music conventions/annotations. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (21)
                                                                     Woah - sheet music - I haven't seen that stuff in years... - (tuberculosis) - (20)
                                                                         Playing by ear - (Steve Lowe) - (8)
                                                                             ObAol MeToo (tm) - (Meerkat) - (7)
                                                                                 Re: ObAol MeToo (tm) - (deSitter) - (6)
                                                                                     I can read music, I'm just really slow at it. -NT - (Meerkat) - (5)
                                                                                         That's really interesting. - (static) - (3)
                                                                                             Speed-reader here - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                                 You're a drummer? Cool! -NT - (deSitter)
                                                                                             I use chord charts a lot - (Steve Lowe)
                                                                                         Same here. - (admin)
                                                                         Todd, Steve, guys - just a well-meaning tip: - (CRConrad) - (10)
                                                                             CRC, Just a Well Meaning Tip.. - (deSitter) - (6)
                                                                                 What's annoying as Hell is pompous know-it-alls, and... - (CRConrad)
                                                                                 Bar table load times aren't affected by size of past chat -NT - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                     That's the legitimate use - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                                         Naah, you're missing the REAL use: - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                                                             Re: Naah, you're missing the REAL use: - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                                                 OK, that last point is one we can agree on, at least! :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                                             If I had any idea this would be so hot - (tuberculosis)
                                                                             Well meaning tip - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                                                 Long as you knew you "prolly shoulda", that's all I wanted. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                     But I get juiced-up dispatching, et al. - (tablizer)
                                                 Re: LISP - Lists + Relational - (deSitter)
                 re: Pretty much correct - (johnu) - (9)
                     "Data" is whatever you make it - (tablizer) - (8)
                         Re: "Data" is whatever you make it - (johnu) - (7)
                             complexity of Java is not a selling point - (tablizer)
                             I wouldn't bother, John. - (static) - (5)
                                 No,YOU don't get it: 1-1-1 is Limiting - (tablizer) - (4)
                                     *sigh* Since you asked... - (static) - (3)
                                         shoeboxes, pencils, and strips of paper - (tablizer) - (2)
                                             Read everything again. Yes, the whole thread. - (static) - (1)
                                                 You are still thinking in code - (tablizer)
         Re: A relational definition of OOP - (deSitter) - (1)
             Re: A relational definition of OOP - (JimWeirich)

When you make someone eat shit, feed it to them with the right fork.
187 ms