IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hidden files & really hidden files ...

Every win install I do I immediately uncheck the hidden files & suffixes.

The hidden files showing up in my ZA log were truly hidden - they were in the log as having accessed the Internet (with permission) but when I looked for them they were not in those locations.

I had deleted them but a day later they were back & I had *not* given any permission thru ZA to allow them net access.

My educated guess is that theye were trojans modules planted as components of either Netscap MSIE or Win services.

Anyway - I seem to have got rid of them with a clean install & by 'hardening & firewalling' every one of my computers. BUt I am being hit with 2 virus attachments in email, per day. I won't open email from people I don't know esp if they have attachments.

Cheers

Doug

New could you forward a copy of the virus to me?
I would like to take a look under the hood.
woxley at tampabay dot rr dot com
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

You think that you can trust the government to look after your rights? ask an Indian
New "Opening" attachments
Doug wrote:

But I am being hit with 2 virus attachments in email, per day. I won't open email from people I don't know esp if they have attachments.

Back when I ran legacy Microsoft OSes, I found a 100% effective way to nullify the virus problem: Never run code you don't have reason to want to trust well enough to run. This, of course, implied ensuring that I knew about all occasions when I (or my machine on my behalf) ran code, and that it never happened without my approval.

Relevant to that, your quotation (above) indicates clearly where part of your problem lies: You talk about "opening" e-mail attachments. In Microsoft-speak, the verb to "open" sometimes mean to execute, and sometimes means to view -- with the implication that the user has no idea which of the two he's doing. The implied mindset is part of what leads Microsoft's captive userbase to put up with misdesigned applications like MS-Outlook and MS-Outlook Express, whose three-pane view (at least in some versions) auto-executes code arriving as attachments without the user even selecting the attachment at all, let alone giving permission to run it.

The first steps to asserting control (aside from probably rebuilding your system from trusted media) is to remove all executables that you don't regard as trustworthy. I.e., if you suspect that MS-Outlook Express runs executables without checking with you first, get rid of it. And does your MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Access, or WordPro run AutoOpen or AutoClose macros automatically without checking with you? (Are you sure? Did you create test documents with those macros and see if they ran without checking with you? If not, why not?)

From that point forward, never just "click on" or "open" files without knowing of a certainty whether that's going to run as code or not. And don't just install software without meaningfully checking its identity. (You downloaded it? OK, but are you sure the site you got it from was the real site? Are you trusting some dubious party's DNS?)

Unfortunately, keeping a legacy Microsoft OS non-compromised is always a bit stressful, because you know that a user-level error of judgement can compromise the whole system's security, and not just his own security. (This is largely true even on NT, which at least in theory supports multiple user contexts, although it's not genuinely multiuser.) You have much more of a safety cushion, in that respect, on Unix.

If you use Linux, you get your pick of [link|http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/muas|105 e-mail clients], none of which has a "virus attachment" problem. No offence intended, but it's a bit pitiful to have to ignore e-mail from strangers: No competently designed system can be threatened by a mere e-mail.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
Expand Edited by rickmoen Dec. 23, 2002, 12:14:22 AM EST
New Obvious flaw
Doug wrote:

I won't open email from people I don't know esp if they have attachments.

Afterthought: How do you know which mail is genuinely from people you know? If you simply elect to believe the name in the From: header, then you're immediately at the mercy of malware-carrying SMTP worms like SirCam, which forge SMTP mail to make it appear to come from names and addresses familiar to you.

So, your protective measure not suggests a serious problem with you using untrustworthy mail software, but also is ineffective.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
     Seeking serious opinions - advice - (dmarker) - (29)
         Perhaps some separation of duties. - (static)
         is the win2k installed locally produced recently? - (boxley) - (1)
             Re: iGood point Bill - go head to head - (dmarker)
         Re: Is it possible to hide programs on someone computer - (dmarker) - (13)
             Hidden directories? - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Re: Hidden directories? - (dmarker) - (2)
                     OT: About your PIC... - (folkert) - (1)
                         Re: That Pic (grin) Miss HK 2000 - I used it - (dmarker)
             you have been smacked - (boxley) - (1)
                 Re: Hmmm that does it - will reinstall from scratch - (dmarker)
             Forensics - (kmself)
             Re: Is it possible to hide programs on someone computer - (deSitter) - (4)
                 Hidden files & really hidden files ... - (dmarker) - (3)
                     could you forward a copy of the virus to me? - (boxley)
                     "Opening" attachments - (rickmoen)
                     Obvious flaw - (rickmoen)
             Hey Doug, - (jb4)
         Goal? - (kmself) - (2)
             Re: Goal? - At the moment is to figure out what thyz up 2 - (dmarker)
             Why I bought a laptop - (rickmoen)
         Have you tried Spybot Search & Destroy? - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Re: Downloaded & will try - looks good - (dmarker)
             Re: Interesting results - (dmarker) - (3)
                 Most of the found items are just information. - (Another Scott)
                 Re: Doug's strange new fascination with Re: - (tseliot) - (1)
                     Not new by any stretch of imagination... -NT - (hnick)
             Re: Have you tried Spybot Search & Destroy? - (dmarker)
         Re: Seeking serious opinions - advice - (rickmoen)
         FYI: XP & Zonealarm - holey shit - (kmself)

I never trusted P.E. teachers, I'll tell you that.
83 ms