IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Have you tried Spybot Search & Destroy?
It seems to be pretty powerful and has found lots of stuff on a few of my Windows (9x and 2k) machines. It also checks the registry for lots of nasty stuff that can go on behind your back.

I investigated tools like this because I was having trouble with my dial-on-demand internet connection staying off when I hung up...

[link|http://security.kolla.de/|Spybot Search and Destroy]. Freeware with a $5 donation requested.

It may not help your blocking problem, but might help your mysterious access problems.

Good luck!

[Edit - lost replaced by lots]

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Dec. 12, 2002, 11:09:35 PM EST
New Re: Downloaded & will try - looks good

What that site brought to mind is that these A & B programs may be merely spy bots rather than related to the blocking that is happening.

The Internet has become so complex that at times one can think one kind of intrusion is actually something that it isn't.

The computer in question has nothin confidential on it so I am not excessively worried about damage. My deep concern is to be able to figure out what is being done & how it got onboard (assuming athere are intrusive programs operating).

I used to rely on netstat -a -n | more to look for suspicious connections but these aren't showing up (as best as I can tell).

Cheers

Doug
New Re: Interesting results

Have just run on my work notebook Win2K based & it as expected identified stacks of hit box cookies but it also highlighted

C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Acrobat 5.0\\AVGeneral\\cRecentFiles\\c1
and 4 more like it - interestingly this is near to the same dir path that the mysterious A & B programs are listed in my home PC by ZoneAlarmPro.
(D:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Acrobat 5.0\\A)

Is it possible that Adobe monitors what PDF files we download ?

The A program listed by ZA Pro is listed as having 0 length & as mentioned, is not there when I look. An earlier post here showed how dummy entries can be made & done in a way they can't be seen & can't be deleted. I assume they can be executed though.

Doug Marker
New Most of the found items are just information.
When I had problems with things sending out information over the internet, SBS&D found them and put them at the top of the list with checkmarks in the boxes.

The Adobe stuff and similar found items are just lists of files that were recently loaded into Acrobat and the like. They're history lists generally. If you're worried about people looking to see what you've been doing on your PC, they're good to remove. But I'm not so I haven't. :-) None of the information is sent back to Adobe (AFAIK).

More information about the files found can be examined by highlighting them (click) then click the "Description of this product" button at the bottom (or alternatively right clicking on it and selecting the same).

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Doug's strange new fascination with Re:
*cough* we already know it's the Subject. Can't say I've ever seen someone Re: and then invent a new subject.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Not new by any stretch of imagination...
New Re: Have you tried Spybot Search & Destroy?
Ran the pgm at home but it didn't seem to locate anything nefarious.

It did bring home though how Win + many new prods, all leave easy to access logs of all activity down to wiping your nose. Spybot points out that this is only a problem if someone else has access to it which can be over the net if they can establish a path.

I have decide & am in the midst of a complete rebuild

1) RH8 on SCSI disk using GRUB dual boot
2) Win2K Clean install
3) Virtual PC under Win2K with a base Win2K VPC which I will use to access email & do downloads in the expectation I will have an isolated system & can replace it with a base disk image anytime.

The main machine can then be used for all the other stuff I want to use it for

Cheers

Doug Marker

Just wanted to add that an earlier attempt to post this item was blocked. After my clean re-install this same post was no blocked.
Am hoping I have isolated the way they idenify me.
Expand Edited by dmarker Dec. 14, 2002, 12:07:34 AM EST
     Seeking serious opinions - advice - (dmarker) - (29)
         Perhaps some separation of duties. - (static)
         is the win2k installed locally produced recently? - (boxley) - (1)
             Re: iGood point Bill - go head to head - (dmarker)
         Re: Is it possible to hide programs on someone computer - (dmarker) - (13)
             Hidden directories? - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Re: Hidden directories? - (dmarker) - (2)
                     OT: About your PIC... - (folkert) - (1)
                         Re: That Pic (grin) Miss HK 2000 - I used it - (dmarker)
             you have been smacked - (boxley) - (1)
                 Re: Hmmm that does it - will reinstall from scratch - (dmarker)
             Forensics - (kmself)
             Re: Is it possible to hide programs on someone computer - (deSitter) - (4)
                 Hidden files & really hidden files ... - (dmarker) - (3)
                     could you forward a copy of the virus to me? - (boxley)
                     "Opening" attachments - (rickmoen)
                     Obvious flaw - (rickmoen)
             Hey Doug, - (jb4)
         Goal? - (kmself) - (2)
             Re: Goal? - At the moment is to figure out what thyz up 2 - (dmarker)
             Why I bought a laptop - (rickmoen)
         Have you tried Spybot Search & Destroy? - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Re: Downloaded & will try - looks good - (dmarker)
             Re: Interesting results - (dmarker) - (3)
                 Most of the found items are just information. - (Another Scott)
                 Re: Doug's strange new fascination with Re: - (tseliot) - (1)
                     Not new by any stretch of imagination... -NT - (hnick)
             Re: Have you tried Spybot Search & Destroy? - (dmarker)
         Re: Seeking serious opinions - advice - (rickmoen)
         FYI: XP & Zonealarm - holey shit - (kmself)

You lucky bastard!
92 ms