IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New CSRSS.EXE Problem.
I have two boxes, configured exactly alike (both are hardware and software alike - Dell dual processors, Win2K Pro). An as/400 executes an app on each (the same app). One machine is dramatically slower in its execution than the other and I think I know why. csrss.exe (Client Server Runtime Service) is consuming anywhere from 5-8% CPU intermittently on the slower machine. There should be no network traffic while the app is running on either machine and the second (faster) machine does not exhibit the overhead of csrss.exe that the first (slower) machine does.

I've asked the 400 goobs if there is any difference in the way that the 400 spawns these apps and they insist that there isn't ("All problems are PC related" is the standard here, even when its been demonstrated otherwise).

Any idea what would make csrss.exe consume so much cpu?

tia,
Mikem
New Do you have webserver (ie IIS) running on only one box?
The other option is Nimda--csrss.exe gets overwritten.

[Edit: Better, G?]

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
Expand Edited by tseliot Dec. 9, 2002, 12:57:01 PM EST
New *SHUDDER* fix that! (eduted)
Yes Bob, was really talking about the Nimda! *SHUDDER* I am seeing Flashbacks... "MOMMY.. Help me!"

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
[link|http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56742,00.html|Wi-Fi enabled device use] comes with an all inclusive
free trip to the (county)Photographer!

Overbooking, is a problem, please be prepared for "room-ies".

Why You ask? Here is the answer to your query:
SELECT * FROM politicians WHERE iq > 40 OR \\
  WHERE ego < 1048575;
0 rows found
Expand Edited by gfolkertold Dec. 9, 2002, 02:19:27 PM EST
New Yikes! You mean I shouldn't have installed Nimda?
Only kidding, only kidding. ;-)

Don't have IIS running on either. Both behind a checkpoint f/w. They've got Symantec anti-virus running on them as well, iirc. Have to check. I looked at all the services and the 2 boxes appear to be running the identical processes. But, I'll check that again (I'm not the only one with my fingers on those machines by a long shot).

Thanks for tips.
New *scratch head*
Is this a [link|http://groups.google.com/groups?q=csrss.exe+slow&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&selm=OHPGL%24NXCHA.2240%40tkmsftngp10&rnum=1|laptop]?

I found a number slowdown issues related to csrss.exe on google groups; few with the '400 involved... This was one of the few with a 'resolution' (such as it is). If this isn't a laptop, do you have bios setting differences, perhaps power management?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New They're not notebooks.
But that is one thing I didn't check. Thanks.
New Nope.
Double-checked all services, Power Mgmt, etc. Still dunno what gives. <grimace>
New Looking again, I find this as an issue
in [link|http://groups.google.com/groups?q=csrss.exe+performance&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&selm=%23kSS7A2b%24GA.279%40cppssbbsa05&rnum=1|NT4].

More on the [link|http://groups.google.com/groups?q=csrss.exe+fix&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&selm=%23LEkgOoE%23GA.146%40uppssnewspub04.moswest.msn.net&rnum=4|NT problem]... This one says "The problem is a result of the user running a 16bit app and then disconnecting instead of logging off. To work around the problem you can use the kill.exe from the NT4.0 resource kit to kill the csrss.exe process. this DOES NOT kill it but does keep it
from using 100% of one cpu"

Hmm. 16 bit app. Are you sure that the same version of CA (or whatever you are using) on both machines?

Hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree, here...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Now, that looks promising.
Thank you very much for looking this up for me - I've got my hands full at the moment, but the KB article about "polling video memory" looks like it might be the nub of the problem. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to this for a few days. I'll continue looking on my own. Thank you!

New NP! *grin*

Imric's Tips for Living
     CSRSS.EXE Problem. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
         Do you have webserver (ie IIS) running on only one box? - (tseliot) - (2)
             *SHUDDER* fix that! (eduted) - (folkert)
             Yikes! You mean I shouldn't have installed Nimda? - (mmoffitt)
         *scratch head* - (imric) - (5)
             They're not notebooks. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                 Nope. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                     Looking again, I find this as an issue - (imric) - (2)
                         Now, that looks promising. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             NP! *grin* -NT - (imric)

Their business was zero and it was shrinking.
106 ms