IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Point to consider
If they want to blow open the browser market so that they can get licensing money, then they have almost as much reason to want to see open source solutions fail as IE.

I do not expect them to play nice with Mozilla if they get the chance. :-(

Cheers,
Ben
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
New At that point...
... it will be time to move the project offshore to somewhere with a more reaonable IP regimen, and cut the ties with AOL.

Might give some people pause... as I said... my pov on all this now is "bring it on"... the sooner the bullshit meter cranks on up to new heights of insanity the sooner people will no longer be able to ignore it and start dealing with the elites as needed.

The elites here seem to have forgotten that really rampant abuse of our systems like this tend to result in the long run with the elites swinging from trees (and I'm not necessarily being metaphorical about this either... it's not like it hasn't happened before, nor recently (cf Rumania)). I don't think the current crop is going to (re)learn that lesson until some of them ARE swinging from trees... so the sooner that some of them end up in the aforementioned trees the sooner we're likely to start seeing reasonable behaviour from them again.

You pointed out earlier about how the current administration is largely staffed by people with a lot of experience in replacing democratic regimes with authoritarian ones. However, there are some major differences.

One: is the US army going to go and suppress fellow Americans in the streets? They may do it once or twice, but after that... there will be desertions, and there will be hell to pay.

Two: They're going to try and be authoritarian with a very large group of people that aren't accustomed to that, don't like it, and have a lot of guns. There is a huge part of the US population that hasn't been heard from at all in this entire debate. If they get pissed off, they will make themselves heard, and forcefully.

However, if they really mean it, I have no doubt that it will make for some very unpleasant years in the US... and for its neighbours, which explains my interest in it.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Laval Qu\ufffdbec Canada                   [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     Using a patent against Microsoft - (admin) - (9)
         Scary patent. - (imric) - (8)
             That's what scared me about it, first time we heard of it. -NT - (CRConrad)
             Not really - (jake123) - (6)
                 What is "overly punative" for Mozilla? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                     >0 - (jake123) - (2)
                         Point to consider - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             At that point... - (jake123)
                 "Not really" -- not really - (kmself) - (1)
                     And in practice... - (ben_tilly)