IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Who will be next House minority leader
[link|http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/11/08/elec02.democrats/index.html|CNN Politics]

I think this is more important then it looks at first glance because it is a competition between the two major theories of why the Democrats lost.

One side says the Democrats lost their identity by refusing the challenge Bush on issues such as Iraq and Harken. That their refusal to face Bush is what weakened their ability to get Democrates to vote.

The other other side says the Democrats failed to be moderate enough. That challenging Bush on Iraq is political suicide and that they should have supported him. That nobody outside the core of the party cares about the 2000 election any more.

I think both sides are right on some issues, but such subtly is not accepted in American politcs. I lean towards the Pelosi side because I think probably the single core mistake the Democrates made was not challenging Bush on any of the major issues. This gave the impression that they had no agenda at all.

One thing I think the Democrates need to grasp is that they need a national agenda they can get on the major news channels. Without a simple agenda being pushed by a couple of well known Democrates, they won't get the air time they need.

Jay
New Agenda or ideals or whatever
This past election, the Democrats didn't demonstrate anything other than "rah rah" at a wake and "The republicans want to push old people down the stairs and make them die".

That's not the way to go. Tell the American people *your* ideas and plans... oops, you don't have any. Er, that is, any that you dare to campaign on or that you can articulate clearly. That's one reason Newt Gingrich got a landslide in 1994; he had ten well-defined points that everyone campaigned on. (Only seven or eight came into being, but given Congress, that's impressive.)

The Democrats have some sort of amorphous wanna do good and the Republicans are bad thing. If the Democrats could come up with their own "Contract with America" that resonated with America, I think they could retake the Senate and the House in a heartbeat.

But they don't. And I don't think they *can*. They still can't comprehend that they lost, let alone try to figure out why it is that they lost. I doubt Daschle and company even realize how bad a PR blunder the Wellstone memorial service was.
New You think that was part of some plan?
I doubt Daschle and company even realize how bad a PR blunder the Wellstone memorial service was.

The honest expression of the crowd's feelings. Somehow this is a blunder by the Democratic party.

[scotch]CRAAP[/scotch]
New Re: You think that was part of some plan?
I agree

except that in a close election it is possible that the media can influence 2-5% of voters with their delusional attacks on the Wellstone service ( they never heard of 'win one for the Gipper' -- or they think it has something to do with Ronald Reagan) and thus Mondale lost

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New They knew it was a blunder or they wouldnt have been
backtracking so quickly. If I run a funeral I want to know almost to a T what is going to be said by whom and if it gets off track the proverbial sheperds crook comes out and yanks the offender. They thought it would play well in Peroria and when they read the national disgust it was "we didnt know it was going to happen" bullshit. They planned it, it backfired and now they pay. Or will they spin? Of course being the party of "We are not responsible because laws are only a suggestion" party they spun and lost. Scrabble around in the dirt of the democratic party and find a gem of dignity, a chain of responsibility and a clasp of honesty and get rid of the hacks. 3 reasons Jesus wont be born a democrat couldnt find 3 wise men and a virgin.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]
"Fifty-one percent of a nation can establish a totalitarian regime, suppress minorities and still remain democratic." Correction: All that can be achieved with 51 percent of the voters!" Ilanna Mercer
New So this is still a Democratic event.
Not an event that happens to draw mostly democrats. Something planned by the party bigwigs. I say again, <scottish> CRAAP</scottish>.
New lesse it drew Lott Clinton Jesse and it was a what event?
campaign manager in charge of funeral arrangements and it was a what again? Dignity? wassup!!
when you crap yer pants, make sure there is a small dog around to blame it on.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]
"Fifty-one percent of a nation can establish a totalitarian regime, suppress minorities and still remain democratic." Correction: All that can be achieved with 51 percent of the voters!" Ilanna Mercer
New Okay
That's what the news media are saying.

What do you say?
New Re: Okay
I already did.

I think both sides are right on some issues, but such subtly is not accepted in American politcs. I lean towards the Pelosi side because I think probably the single core mistake the Democrates made was not challenging Bush on any of the major issues. This gave the impression that they had no agenda at all.

If you want more details, I think the Democrats should have picked one issue to fight Bush on hard. And fought him on that issue nation wide. The buisness angle would have been the best as the Iraq issue would have been an awful mine field to navigate. Bush had already backed off on the other issues, to rob the Democrats of any easy issues.

I think those that say the average American doesn't care about 2000 anymore are right. It's not the issue to try and get the undecided masses to sway on. Better to talk that issue at party meeting and local conventions. It's good for getting out the core Democrates, but sounds like whining to those not interested enough in politics to understand it.

I wanted the Democrats to win some seats, but not to many. I much prefer Congress to be split and deadlocked. Generally speaking, the less Congress does the better off we are.

I want to see Pelosi take be the next minority leader becasue we need an effective Democratic party to stand against the Republicans right now.

Jay
     Who will be next House minority leader - (JayMehaffey) - (8)
         Agenda or ideals or whatever - (wharris2) - (5)
             You think that was part of some plan? - (Silverlock) - (4)
                 Re: You think that was part of some plan? - (andread)
                 They knew it was a blunder or they wouldnt have been - (boxley) - (2)
                     So this is still a Democratic event. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                         lesse it drew Lott Clinton Jesse and it was a what event? - (boxley)
         Okay - (Silverlock) - (1)
             Re: Okay - (JayMehaffey)

I used to use rot-13, but I decided I needed something at least twice as strong. So now I use rot-26 to encode all of my transmissions.
79 ms