Let it have been a Republican.

Boos at a funeral. You think thats ok.

Sorry...I'm with Jesse on this one.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New What?
Let it have been a Republican.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Some of the people in the huge arena, packed with 20,000 mourners, were angry when they caught a glimpse of the Senator.

Disgust overcame them. They booed lustily, some of them shouting, "We don't want you here," and some shouting epithets.

And for the next few days, the GOP and right-wing pundits had a field day -- supporting the booers, saying that they spoke the truth, and that the Senator deserved all that was dished out and more.

Rush Limbaugh led the right-wing boo fest by having the man who led the booing on his program as Dittohead Hero Of The Day.

Newsmax, Matt Drudge Neal Boortz, Kathleen Parker, and GOP radio talk show hosts nationwide cheered on the booers, and attacked the Senator they booed.

What's wrong with this picture? Well nothing -- because the Senator being booed wasn't Trent Lott -- it was Hillary Clinton, about a year ago, at Madison Square Garden. at a huge concert honoring the heroic policemen and firefighters who gave their lives on September 11, 2001.

It seems that some of those in the audience thought that this upbeat yet solemn occasion should -- gasp! -- be an occasion for politics.

Hear! hear! said Rush and his clones, who booed right along with them.

So you see, folks, it's not the boos that matter to these right-wing thugs. It's who's getting booed. If it's Trent Lott being booed, it's a travesty. If it's Hillary Clinton being booed, it's an act of patriotism.

These people have no shame, no principles, no morals. They just want power. And will say anything, do anything to get it.

From [link|http://www.mediawhoresonline.com/|MediaWhoresOnline]
"A civilian gang of thieving lobbyists for the military industrial complex is running the White House. If to be against them is considered unpatriotic -- Hell, then call me a traitor."
-- Hunter S. Thompson
New Excatly what it stated.
Let the dead man have been a Republican...and those things happen there. See where your feelings would go. Read - double standard.

The second part is very simple. Boos and funerals do >not< go together. Whoever did it, for whatever reason, should fucking well be ashamed of themselves. And anyone who thinks it is "no big deal" should be ashamed of themselves as well.

New Well, at least we agree on something
"double standard"
"A civilian gang of thieving lobbyists for the military industrial complex is running the White House. If to be against them is considered unpatriotic -- Hell, then call me a traitor."
-- Hunter S. Thompson
New Don't think so....
...it could have been a indy libby who agreed with me on every political agenda...with the stands full of 3000 of my closest friends...and I'd still say I was ashamed of them if one boo were heard.

I'd have still walked with Jesse.

New But it wasn't a funeral.
Boos and funerals do >not< go together.

I agree. But it wasn't a funeral, it was a "memorial service".

A [link|http://www.startribune.com/stories/1752/3400441.html|local story] about it.

As the uproar intensified Wednesday over a pointedly partisan speech at Sen. Paul Wellstone's memorial service the previous night, the late senator's campaign manager apologized and said it hadn't been planned.

Gov. Jesse Ventura's ire about the speech prompted him to say he might appoint an independent, instead of a Democrat, to temporarily fill Wellstone's seat. "I'm leaning toward appointing a regular citizen, someone you don't even know," Ventura said.

The state GOP asked for equal air time to match the 3 1/2 hours the memorial was on TV Tuesday night. And the University of Minnesota official who gave the campaign the go-ahead to use Williams Arena said she wouldn't have done so if she had known it would have "political overtones." Even the DFL candidate for governor, Roger Moe, criticized it as "unfortunate."

Wellstone's [link|http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/3395526.html|funeral] was Monday the 28th.

I agree that there were some aspects of the memorial service that were in bad taste, and the fact that it was televised for 3.5 hours and turned into a political rally should give opponents ammunition to demand equal time, but it was different from a funeral service.

Cheers,
Scott.
New What tf ever.
Nitpick if you want.

It wasn't the time nor was it the place.

Defending it is reprehensible.

The entire fiasco is disgusting.

New What gripes my ass.
Is all the "holier-than-thou" bullshit coming from the event's critics. Who the fuck are any of you to say what is "appropriate" at a man unknown to you's funeral? Or maybe you think you know better than his own family? Piss off, the lot of you.
New Opinion noted.
Disagreed with, but noted. Mostly becasue I think the family became a distant second once the ball started rolling.

New who's funeral was it and which senator? Puzzled,
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

"Therefore, by objective standards, the leading managers of the U.S. economy...are collectively, clinically insane."
Lyndon LaRouche
New at a huge concert
d'oh!

New yep, benefit for the dead
otherwise known as a memorial.
-- Hunter S. Thompson
New And?
Am I defending them?

No.

Are you defending this crowd?

Yes.

My name ain't Rush.

Don't even like the guy.

Equating the situations is a stretch...but both actions are reprehensible.

But you don't see anything wrong with it.

Thats sad.

New No.
What's sad isn't that Silverlock sees nothing wrong with it.

What's sad is that Rush, Newsmax, the Democratic Party, the Republican Party, Kathleen Parker, and GOP radio talk show hosts didn't see anything wrong with it when it wasn't their candidate.

And what's really sad is that (apparently) the general public obviously didn't see anything wrong with it either.

That's what sad.

Silverlock is wrong...but he has lots of company.

New Actually no.
My first comment was making fun of Mr. Ego Ventura. Later comments were regarding the double standard of news media and Republican mouthpieces who decried this event with recorded glee about Clinton getting booed at a different memorial. Don't remember ever saying I agreed with the booing. Those are words you put in my mouth.
-- Hunter S. Thompson
New Re: Actually no.
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=60447|Looks suspiciously like you thought it was ok]

New Looks can be deceiving.
That comment, if you parse it for meaning, should lead you to understand I was referring to the "political" aspect of the memorial.

I don't personally think it was "ok" to boo. I also think way to much is being made of this.
-- Hunter S. Thompson
New Alright.
Opinions have been duly noted ;-)

I suppose it is, after all, too much to ask that politicians of any ilk show some measure of good taste.

You know you're being tacky when a pro wrestler walks out - (marlowe) - (24)
         Yeah, I can't believe both parties in this... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
             I'm not sure that would make Paul frown. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Unforuately... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                     Huh??? - (mmoffitt)
         Truth stranger than fiction - (drewk)
         Awwww, did the poor widdle wrestler get offended? - (Silverlock) - (18)
             Right. - (bepatient) - (17)
                 What? - (Silverlock) - (16)
                     Excatly what it stated. - (bepatient) - (6)
                         Well, at least we agree on something - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             Don't think so.... - (bepatient)
                         But it wasn't a funeral. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             What tf ever. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                 What gripes my ass. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     Opinion noted. - (bepatient)
                     who's funeral was it and which senator? Puzzled, -NT - (boxley) - (8)
                         at a huge concert - (bepatient) - (7)
                             yep, benefit for the dead - (Silverlock) - (6)
                                 And? - (bepatient) - (5)
                                     No. - (Simon_Jester)
                                     Actually no. - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                         Re: Actually no. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                             Looks can be deceiving. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                 Alright. - (bepatient)

Certainly mighty proud to say, I'm always mighty proud to say it.
77 ms