IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not sure
I'm not really looking for an argument, but what I was trying to get across is that sacrifice can have rewards that extend beyond the individual. In the case of individual soldiers, their death & suffering didn't seem to maximize their own personal utility. Their sacrifice, however, did buy me my freedom.

I would think that the sacrifice of the individual is very much consistent with the Darwanian view that the survival of a species is also a goal. Not so much a religious argument, as questioning at what level one measures the utility of sacrifice.
New I've found useful a certain distinction between
suffering and ~intentional suffering. Ex: when you decide to conceive a child, you voluntarily embark upon a mix of joy + suffering - about which you cannot even remotely guess .. what's next. But you know that for ~18 years minimum: you shall be Responsible.

The suffering of a traffic accident (especially a solo one not involving the sudden breaking of the frame in 3 pieces?) .. is never an intentional event. Not even a particularly good example, that. Here a deranged view of 'causality' rears it's ugly head - deranged because it is insoluble in this context - except for lunatics, forensics and lawyer-type punctilious mindsets.

The troops in WW-II, at least some of those: had an idea of what was worth the risk of dying-for. It is from this *kind* of voluntary suffering that we get the Beethovens ;-) and from a succession of 'the daily accidents' we often get the serial killers (who never noticed that their own actions created their finally deranging.. accumulation of 'sufferings').

Ashton
Attitude is *All* (we have the slightest control over, ever)
New I think it depends upon the point of view.
I'll use the soldier example.

The Allies were "suffering" to achieve a goal when fighting the Germans.
-but-
The Germans were also "suffering" to achieve a goal when fighting the Allies.

A woman in an abusive marriage can "suffer" because she hopes that he will change (she is "suffering" to achieve a goal).

The suffering of a traffic accident (especially a solo one not involving the sudden breaking of the frame in 3 pieces?) .. is never an intentional event. Not even a particularly good example, that. Here a deranged view of 'causality' rears it's ugly head - deranged because it is insoluble in this context - except for lunatics, forensics and lawyer-type punctilious mindsets.
The world is a hazardous place. Sometimes, things happen. They happen to you because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Take what precautions you can and realize that you are not immortal nor invincible nor are you guaranteed anything in this life.
     redemption read les miserable - (boxley) - (23)
         OT great now one button increases my post count by 2!!! -NT - (boxley)
         Just to supply the orthodox counterpoint - (tseliot) - (21)
             no gain no pain :-) -NT - (boxley)
             Sorry you feel that it needs to be earned by pain - (ben_tilly) - (19)
                 I think you misunderstood my thought. - (boxley) - (2)
                     Check who I was responding to - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         shoot and I have new glasses too! -NT - (boxley)
                 (un)raveling the threads - (tseliot) - (15)
                     I thought it was pretty straightforward - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                         Good link. - (static) - (3)
                             Ah. I am a character, aren't I? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Well, yes. - (static) - (1)
                                     That fits - (ben_tilly)
                         Suffering can provide clarity - (ChrisR) - (6)
                             Absolutely - (deSitter)
                             Re: Suffering can provide clarity - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                                 Not sure - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                     I've found useful a certain distinction between - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         I think it depends upon the point of view. - (Brandioch)
                             Inthane is right - we don't necessarily differ by that much - (ben_tilly)
                         Well, that wasn't the point. - (tseliot) - (2)
                             Ah... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 I have a lot of respect for uncomfortable philo :) -NT - (tseliot)

Dorian Gray would show wear and tear in this job.
92 ms