IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New DB2/400
I haven't worked with anything AS/400, so I really can't comment, except maybe to say that I think the AS/400 is IBM's version of the HP 3000 series, which just got canned.

With all that's going on in the Unix server space, IBM really needs to get an AS/400-like VM running on AIX/pSeries, then put the AS/400 out of its misery, like HP did with their 3000 series.

The only reason that I can imagine that IBM still sells AS/400 is because people still buy them (and software, and support contracts into eternity...)
Heck, a few years back, I went into a blinds factory that was still running an IBM Series 36. When I explained that they could replace the system with an IBM Pentium that would be much faster, they said they were "happy" with their System 36.

Maybe that's why Microsoft has finally decided to sell software subscriptions. So companies will finally give up on old DOS machines, and there won't be some goob running Windows NT 3.51 in 2020 (but there will be).

Glen
New Re: OS/400 emulation.
Isn't that what Pentium Blade Servers are supposed to be about? I dunno. And I agree w/all your "My Take" post. Some of my criticism of DB2/400 may be a little unfair. The only client I have that uses it doesn't have strong DBA talent around. That said, Red Hat (or somebody, maybe IBM?) sent me a CD w/DB2 UDB on it. I installed it and ran it for a while. It seemed okay, with your proviso's. Still, I'm probably as anti-MS as anyone and even I realize that MS Sql Server is not all that bad, in it's place ;-)

An Oracle it ain't, but not that many people need Oracle. And, to be perfectly honest, of the two, I prefer Sybase.
     SQL Server or DB2? - (deSitter) - (11)
         That being the case ... Postgres - (drewk)
         Re: SQL Server or DB2? - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             Re: SQL Server or DB2? - (deSitter)
             A better DBA? - (gdaustin)
         SQL Server - (orion)
         Definitely DB2! - (gdaustin) - (5)
             There is another DB2 and it sucks. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                 My Take - (gdaustin) - (1)
                     Take 2 and call me in the morning - (cforde)
                 DB2/400 - (gdaustin) - (1)
                     Re: OS/400 emulation. - (mmoffitt)

+++ATH
70 ms