IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Flaky hard drive situation
Try running virus detection program on it. Had a similiar problem a few years ago when my computer was infected with a boot sector virus. Drive worked just as you describe yours, works but won't boot. IIRC there is an option on the format command to reformat the boot sector only. Something like /MBR. We use XP here and it's not in the format help...

As for drives, check out E-Bay. Lots of cheap drives.
[link|mailto:jbrabeck@attbi.com|Joe]
New It's fdisk/mbr (on Doze anyway)
On that "Rescue floppy" already IIRC - the one you naturally made when you installed 95 :-\ufffd

BTW I had a similar experience (but without the next disassembling) on my then-'new' used Tecra, almost immediately. Just wouldn't boot from HD. Suddenly as usual.

Gedanken experiment-of-the lazy whispered in ear - WTF, refreshing the MBR can't hurt anything anyway [Hah]. But that was it. Luckily. No idea why a bit flipped, natch.

(Will spare a replay of the SpinRite Shill screed - but that's what I'd run on this OLD drive: it will refresh the lo-level format, which hasn't been refreshed since new. Earth magn. field degrades.. yada yada)

Ashton
New A useful link...
[link|http://www.bootdisk.com|http://www.bootdisk.com]

That might come in handy for a few of you...
End of world rescheduled for day after tomorrow. Something should probably be done. Please advise.
     Flaky hard drive situation - (lincoln) - (10)
         Re: Flaky hard drive situation - (jbrabeck) - (2)
             It's fdisk/mbr (on Doze anyway) - (Ashton) - (1)
                 A useful link... - (inthane-chan)
         when you moved it out of the way you unfroze the heads - (boxley) - (1)
             Hee hee striction -NT - (deSitter)
         Re: Flaky hard drive situation - (deSitter)
         Brain dead question - (lincoln) - (3)
             There are software BIOSes - ezDrive and the like. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Great idea... - (lincoln) - (1)
                     The 2gb limitation... - (inthane-chan)

Dutch man on the mizzen mast!
36 ms