IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Brain dead question
Since it's pretty much impossible to get a brand new hard drive that's smaller thatn 20 gig nowadays, can I get a 20 gig, clone my old drive to it, and run it under Win95 on this box? Will the BIOS prevent me from doing this? I don't care if it can't see anything over 2 gig on the drive; I just want to get more life out of the unit and the games and apps.
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
New There are software BIOSes - ezDrive and the like.
If you put a larger drive in it, it'll probably come with software to get beyond the old PC BIOS problems.

E.g. I recently put a 10 GB drive in a 1993-vintage 486/25 and it works fine (partitioned into 2 GB chunks, still booting of 8xx MB drive).

See, e.g., [link|http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm|this] IBM page (near the bottom). The software is usually drive-manufacturer specific. Make sure you get the appropriate software if you buy a bare drive.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Great idea...
but many of the apps and games point to the cd drive as "D:" - won't partitioning of the bigger hard drive throw these program settings out of whack?
That's why I really don't care if I waste most of the drive - I just want the newer reliability.

But if I can get through the BIOS and use it, then I'm all for it.

Thanks for the info.
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
New The 2gb limitation...
...most likely is a FAT16 v.s. FAT32 issue, not a BIOS issue. If you have the original Win95, and not Win95B or C, then you must use FAT16, limiting you to a 2gb partition size. Otherwise, the sky's the limit.
End of world rescheduled for day after tomorrow. Something should probably be done. Please advise.
     Flaky hard drive situation - (lincoln) - (10)
         Re: Flaky hard drive situation - (jbrabeck) - (2)
             It's fdisk/mbr (on Doze anyway) - (Ashton) - (1)
                 A useful link... - (inthane-chan)
         when you moved it out of the way you unfroze the heads - (boxley) - (1)
             Hee hee striction -NT - (deSitter)
         Re: Flaky hard drive situation - (deSitter)
         Brain dead question - (lincoln) - (3)
             There are software BIOSes - ezDrive and the like. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Great idea... - (lincoln) - (1)
                     The 2gb limitation... - (inthane-chan)

We are trying to save children from evil forces. This wisdom tooth is not a good sign.
204 ms