IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh brother
"It is a situation where MCSEs had no idea that there is a fundamental vulnerability in IIS and ISAPI mapping and so had no way to protect their systems other than after-the-fact patching," said Paller.

You know, security aside, why don't these MCSE's keep an eye out for patches to the software, on general principles? Yes, it's a pain to monitor and install all the patches. But that's Windows.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New not just winders
Sun admins must not be complacent either we are/have developed a script that you use to tighten down a new install plus go out and check for all patches released after the install date. EG how many sun guys out there know there isx a problem with a certain clock chip which rolls the time/date arbitrarely backwards and forwards by as much as four months for minutes at a time? Sysadminning requires a daily perusal of all os related sites and tracks to keep up not just the vendors etc.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Not just Windows but Windows makes it harder
I wonder how many reboots it would take to install all the latest security patches?
New That one I know.
Well, to a first approximation.

Basically, each service pack or hot fix is supposed to be followed by a reboot. That means if you have 26 hot fixes to apply, you're supposed to reboot the machine 26 times! And it gets worse: you're supposed to apply multiple hot fixes all in the correct order!! Read [link|http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q296/8/61.ASP|Q296861 - Use QChain.exe to Install Multiple Hotfixes with Only One Reboot] if you don't believe me.

For comparison, HP-UX patches don't have either problem (barring a very small number which patch the kernel and this require a reboot) and not surprisingly, RedHat's patches also don't have either problem.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

MCSEIEIO - (Steve Lowe) - (4)
         Oh brother - (wharris2) - (3)
             not just winders - (boxley) - (2)
                 Not just Windows but Windows makes it harder - (wharris2) - (1)
                     That one I know. - (static)